Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 29, 2008, 1:59 PM   #1

I just received this lens for my XTI today and when it focases it seems to make a little more noise than I thought it would. It sounds mechanical and last about a second or two. It's noisier than my 17-85 is. Is this normal? Ok after a little experimenting the noise is the IS not the focasing, anyway is this normal?
mliebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2008, 4:40 PM   #2
NHL

It's probably the gyro...
or the internal IS optical block moving
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 1:46 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Nothing to worry about, all IS systems make some noise. As Canon puts the IS in the lens the sound varies from lens to lens.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 1:12 PM   #4

mliebs wrote:
Quote:
I just received this lens for my XTI today and when it focases it seems to make a little more noise than I thought it would. It sounds mechanical and last about a second or two. It's noisier than my 17-85 is. Is this normal? Ok after a little experimenting the noise is the IS not the focasing, anyway is this normal?
What made you go with the 70-200 f4 vs the F2.8 if you don't mind me asking? I am torn between which one to go with. I have been reading so much about the both of them I now have a headache.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 6:05 PM   #5

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
mliebs wrote:
Quote:
What made you go with the 70-200 f4 vs the F2.8 if you don't mind me asking? I am torn between which one to go with. I have been reading so much about the both of them I now have a headache.
I chose the F4 because my wife and I travel over seas once or twice a yearand I wanted a lens that had great reviews but wouldn't be a pain to put on the camera and carry around for a couple of weeks off and on. While I was at the camera store I held the 2.8 and pretty much knew it wouldn't work for me. I'm not a hardcore camera user so I wanted to keep it fun and still get good pictures (at least good for me). For the price if you don't mind the extra weight I'd buy the 2.8 because the price difference isn't really that much, but if you plan on carrying it around your neck for long periods I think the F4 is better suited (at least for me). Thanks for everyones help, I just got a little nervous when I heard how loud the lens was but I guess it's normal. Thanks again
mliebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:35 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply, I am still up in the air on what to get. It must be nice for a store to stock these there are none around me that stock the lens all special order.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote