Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:22 PM   #1

I recently purchased a 40D with the 28-135 kit lens.

My primary purpose for the purchase was to shoot my daughters martial arts competitions which normally take place in typical high school gym lighting with no flash allowed. Knowing full well that the kit lens would be unsuitable for this purpose, I also purchased an 85mm f/1.8 and an 17-55 f/2.8. The combination of these two should be sufficient for this purpose, and I could add additional primes if needed.

However, my camera use is certainly not limited to martial arts. I'd like to take it out and about for whatever I find interesting. The 17-55 will certainly work well for family gatherings, indoors and out, and even the prime lens would work well. I've tried walking around with the kit lens and find the reach too small to capture the occasional wildlife or bird photo. I'd like to sell the kit lens and replace it with a reasonably inexpensive tele zoom. This is not the primary use, so I can't currently justify the costs of the various 70-200 L lenses. Perhaps the non-IS F/4, but I think the IS would be beneficial, so I was looking at the 55-250 IS or the 70-300 IS lenses.

Has anyone here used either or both of these lenses and can share their opinions?

I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm trying to keep the cost around $500 or less.
smithkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:52 AM   #2
Administrator

It looks like this thread was overlooked. Sorry about that.

Here's a recent discussion you may want to follow concerning lower cost zooms with that focal range:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=65

Hopefully, some of our Canon shooters will chime in and post some opinions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3
NHL

This may be the birding lens you are looking for if you need IS:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...894660#p894660

BTW I also have a 16-50 f/2.8 on that camera, so basically I can cover the entire 24 to 750mm cropped equivalent with just two lenses...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:06 PM   #4

NHL wrote:
Quote:
This may be the birding lens you are looking for if you need IS:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...894660#p894660

BTW I also have a 16-50 f/2.8 on that camera, so basically I can cover the entire 24 to 750mm cropped equivalent with just two lenses...
Thanks. Certainly an interesting lens, but it costs about twice what I was budgeting and also does not seem to be widely available yet.. I haven't made a purchase yet, so I'll keep an eye on this one.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:46 AM   #5

Here's a low-cost alternative for wildlife shooting.

I recently tried the Sigma APO150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS on a Canon 400D. Very fast lens and was used to capture birds in flight.

a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:39 AM   #6

Any sample images? Cost?
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 3:21 AM   #7

You're not going to be able to use either of those lens for high school lighting. You'll either need a fast zoom or a good prime(which is a much better choice) for poor lighting and faster shutter speeds.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:32 AM   #8

KALEL33 wrote:
Quote:
You're not going to be able to use either of those lens for high school lighting. You'll either need a fast zoom or a good prime(which is a much better choice) for poor lighting and faster shutter speeds.
If you go back and read my original post again, you will see that I was not asking for a long zoom for gym lighting. I thought I was clear that I already own an 85 1.8 for that purpose, and I also have the 17-55 2.8 which could be used if the lighting is sufficient.

I was asking for opinions on those two lenses for the occasional outdoor wildlife type shots. It's not my primary focus.

I settled on the 55-250 for cost reasons. I've had mixed results so far, but I'm still learning.

Old Jul 8, 2008, 4:10 AM   #9

Not sure if anyone has read the other thread below, but I have just posted some comparison shots of my Canon 55 - 250mm IS withmy oldPanasonic FZ30, but as another quick test I added my Olympus TCON17 teleconverter onto my 55-250mm Canon lens, just gives you an idea of the zoom capabilities, I will try and get out and take some 'real' shots with itwhen the weather improves:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=65
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote