Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:16 PM   #11
Administrator

One more comment...

From my perspective, getting the kit lens would be a no brainer. From what I can see of prices at UK Stores like Jessops, it's adding very little to the cost of a 450D kit. For example, they're getting £459.99 for a 450D body only there, and you can buy a 450D with an 18-55mm IS lens for only £499.99 there. That lens sells for £159.99 separately at Jessops. So, the kit with it included is a bargain. If you decide you don't like the lens, sell it. ;-) You're not paying much for it compared to it's value, and I think it's probably unlikely you'd lose money if you sold it, since you're paying so little for it in a kit.

Even if you did, consider it a tuition fee. By using a lens like that for a while, you'll have a better understanding of what you may or may not need later for the type of shooting you do more often.

P.S. -- I'd probably compare prices on the two lens kit also (including both the 18-55mm and 55-250mm IS lenses) to see how much of a bargain it is compared to buying the lenses separately (I haven't researched it). That way, you'd have roughly the same coverage you have with your FZ30 (that two lens kit would give you the same range (same angle of view) you'd have using lenses that cover 29-400mm with a 35mm camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:38 PM   #12
Administrator

There is no right and wrong way to approach it, and any choice is a compromise in one area or another.

You could even buy a single lens to cover that same 18-250mm range (same angle of view you'd have using a 29-400mm lens on a 35mm camera). For example, Tamron makes an 18-250mm zoom now (and it's not a bad lens as "super zoom' type lenses go). If I were going to buy one of these lens types, it would be at the top of my list.

But, as a general rule, you'll usually get better image quality using lenses with a less ambitious focal range from wide to long, versus trying to do everything in a single lens, and it looks like the kits are priced to be a good bargain from what I can see of UK prices.

I just wouldn't spend a lot of money on lenses until you've got a better feel for what you may need (i.e., get some experience with the camera first and see what limitations you'd run into with the kit type lenses, since they're adding very little to the cost of the camera).

It's easy to spend a lot of money on lenses, and you don't want to buy lenses that you may not want to use later (too large and heavy, inappropriate focal range for what you want to shoot, not bright enough for the conditions, etc.). I'd keep your costs down to get started, unless you have specialized requirements in a lens (i.e., your Macro desires).

Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:59 PM   #13

jim i think your right, the two lens kit would be good, not many people are doing that, but ill have a look around. The 55-250 does add a bit

http://www.canon450d.co.uk/
£418 for body
£483 for body+ EF-S 18-55 IS

£181 canon 55-250 IS
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-55-250...sbs_ce_title_5

cant find a twin kit so far
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:24 PM   #14
Administrator

It looks like the two lens kits are pretty scarce here in the U.S., too (I don't see anyone with them in stock right now).

You may decide that something else may be better later anyway. But, if you can get one with the same kind of discount I'm seeing on a kit with an 18-55mm IS lens, then it may be worth going that route (since you could probably sell the lens later without losing anything if the kit price was "right"). ;-)

I tend to buy most of my lenses used (that way, they've already depreciated and I can sell them without losing anything if I buy them right). lol

Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:41 PM   #15

found the twin lens kit for £689 :-) both canon lens's
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:38 PM   #16
Administrator

That's not good (if I understand the pricing correctly). It looks like you could buy it for less separately after getting a kit with the 18-55mm IS included for £483 if you decided you wanted one later.

Oh well... you can't get great deals on everything. :-) The kit with the 18-55mm IS lens sounds like a great deal though (you're paying less than half of what that lens would cost separately outside of the kit for the little bit it adds to the body only price).

Again, I wouldn't rush out to spend a lot of money on lenses until you get some experience with the camera and have a better feel for what you may need. That way, you'll make better informed decisions on lenses later. You don't need to buy everything at once to get started.

Old Jun 13, 2008, 4:23 AM   #17

very true, best price i can find for Canon EF-S 55-250mm is

£130

so 130+483 is £613
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:27 PM   #18

simonbratt99 wrote:
Quote:
sounds fair, but i will need to get a macro lens :-) as they dont come as kit.

ok so that means sigma and tamron lens's will still be a good choice, just as a general make, i wouldnt be buying the skoda equivalent of the car world? more like an audi?
I shot this with the new 18-55 IS kit...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7899/tlp2cu13uk2.jpg

digikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2008, 7:05 PM   #19

thats encouraging cheers