Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2008, 9:42 AM   #1

hi

Hoping to get a EOS 450d and wondering about kit lens's

1. Are the canon kit lens's and the canon lens's you buy seperatly the same quality?

2. Are canon lens's thought of as good quality? the best? or not so good? in the whole scale of lens's available for the 450d.

Come to that how about sigma and tamron lens's, which is generally better which is not as good, and is there much in it.

thanks for your replies

si
simonbratt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
Administrator

All manufacturers (Canon, Tamron, Sigma, etc.) have both good and not so good lenses. ;-)

You have to take each lens on a case by case basis.

Any lens choice is a compromise in one area or another (size, weight, cost, brightness, focal range, distortion, flare resistance, sharpness at various focal lengths and apertures, color, contrast, and more).

If you're new a dSLR, and don't have any specialized requirements (low light sports, etc.), I'd suggest sticking with a basic kit lens for a while. That way, you can make better informed decisions about what lenses may be more suitable for your shooting style later, after you have a better understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of the kit lens (focal range, brightess, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:43 AM   #3

sounds fair, but i will need to get a macro lens :-) as they dont come as kit.

ok so that means sigma and tamron lens's will still be a good choice, just as a general make, i wouldnt be buying the skoda equivalent of the car world? more like an audi?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Administrator

You have to take each lens on a case by case basis. You can find some very bad (lenses that may be more suitable as door stops because the flare, distortion, softness at wider apertures, etc. is so bad), and very good lenses from any of the major manufacturers. ;-)

Tamron's SP (Super Performance) lenses are their better grade. Canon's L series lenses are their better grade, and Sigma's EX series lenses are their better grade. But, you still want to take each lens on a case by case basis to see if it's suitable for the purpose you want to use it for, and you may not need the highest quality lenses, depending on what you're shooting and the purpose for the images.

As the old saying goes, "Good, Fast [bright], Cheap, pick any two." ;-)

Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:02 AM   #5

some of my images accepted so far, as an idea to what i take, but it can be anything
http://www.fotolia.com/p/200632399

http://www.dreamstime.com/resp656808

With Panasonic FZ30
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Administrator

I didn't see anything that really stood out as needing a specialized lens type for macros (unless some of those subjects are smaller than I think).

It looks like the smallest subject you have is this flower:

http://www.fotolia.com/id/7134290

You could probably get close to the same framing (perhaps a bit wider) with a kit lens with nothing more than a 1:4 Macro ability (able to fill the frame with a subject 4 times the size of an APS-C sensor). I don't see the reproduction ratio (or maximum magnification) for macro purposes in the specs for the Canon kit lens. But, with a closest focus distance of 9.8 in./0.25m, it's probably around a 1:3 or 1:4 lens (since a Nikkor 18-55mm with a closest focus distance of 0.9 ft. (0.28m) has a reproduction ratio of 1:3.2 (and you'll have a slightly narrower angle of view with the Canon sensor for a given focal length).

Keep in mind that you'd have the same angle of view you'd have using an 88mm lens on a 35mm camera when zoomed in all the way with an 18-55mm on that Canon dSLR, and you'd be able to focus from less than 1 foot away with it.

Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:44 AM   #7

thanks for looking, you are correct about the flower being the biggest macro there, i would definately like to get it bigger ie closer in eventually.

But if i can nearly get that with the kit 450D lens's, it will do for now while i get used to the camera

I have this macro shot which when i look at the info it says
focal length=7mm
35mm focal lenth=35mm

so its the 35mm bit that is comparible ot an old 35mm film camera? and this measurment is a common factor through any camera?

Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:57 AM   #8
Administrator

simonbratt99 wrote:
Quote:
I have this macro shot which when i look at the info it says
focal length=7mm
35mm focal lenth=35mm

so its the 35mm bit that is comparible ot an old 35mm film camera? and this measurment is a common factor through any camera?
It's used for comparision purposes, since users familiar with a 35mm camera want to see how a given camera/lens combination compares from an angle of view perspective.

If you use a smaller sensor or film size, you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for a given focal length. That's why you had the same angle of view as a 35mm lens on a 35mm camera, even though your actual focal length was only 7mm for that shot with the Panasonic.

Your Panasonic has a very tiny sensor (you'd need to multiply the actual focal length by approximately 5x to see what focal length lens on a 35mm camera would give you the same angle of view). To make it easier to compare, you'll find that manufacturers of non-dSLR models like that often give the 35mm equivalent focal range. The actual focal range of the lens on that Panasonic is really only 7.4 to 88.8mm. But, they let you know that it gives you the same angle of view as 35-420mm lens on a 35mm camera (which is why they use the term equivalent).

The EOS-450D has a much larger APS-C size sensor. With a dSLR model, you don't usually see the "35mm equivalent focal length". If you want to know how it compares, just multiply the actual focal length of a lens by 1.6x to see what focal length lens on a 35mm camera would give you the same angle of view. So, an 18-55mm lens on that Canon model would give roughly the same angle of view you'd have using a 29-88mm lens on a 35mm camera.

Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:02 PM   #9
Administrator

P.S.

Steve prefers that images be downsized to around 640 pixels wide for posting in the forums. That way, members with lower resolution displays don't need to scroll left and right to see responses in the thread (since it makes the entire page wider if you post a photo too wide).

A bit larger is OK (I try to stay at around 720 or 800 pixels wide max). But, I wouldn't go as large as you did here (that photo was 1280 pixels wide, meaning users with typical 1024x768 resolution monitors need to scroll left and right to see the text in the replies or to see the entire image). ;-)

See Steve's comments about it here:

How to post your photos

Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:13 PM   #10

sorry , pic sorted.

The more i read your numbers, the more its sinking in lol.

Your a big help, thanks