Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 21, 2008, 6:07 AM   #1

I might be ahead of myself but need to ask anyways. I am in the process of purchasing a Canon EOS, either 400D, 450D or a 40D (not surewhich one yet and that is another topic). I plan on using the camerato take a lot of photos of our 7yr old'ssports (outdoorsoccer/baseball).Anyone have any suggestions on a decent entry level zoom lens that willnot cost me an arm & leg?I know that good glass cost money and also help produce the best photos butI am far from a pro. The pictureswillbe mostly used for family and friends to share and enjoy and maybe an 8x10 every once in a while. Any input/advicewould be great as this might help on how I purchase my camera as well. Thanks.
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:10 AM   #2
NHL

IMO the most reasonably priced 70-200 f/2.8 is the Sigma EX as this lens also sports a relatively fast HSM motor...
-> All lenses are a compromise but this one strikes a good balance of de-focus bokeh and fast aperture.
Don't get hook into 'IS' for sport - If you shoot mostly outdoor then the next alternative is again a Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX (it costs as much as the 70-200 f/2.8 + 1.4xTC) but much sharper this side of a prime (BTW I just compared it against a Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S prime too)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:11 AM   #3

I guess it depends on what you mean by reasonably priced.

At that age, everything is pretty much daylight games. The Canon 70-300 IS USM ($560) would be a great lens.

If budget is really tight, Sigma makes a 70-300 and it can be had for about $180. It's slower to focus than the canon and soft between 200-300mm. But what do you want for $180? :-)
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:10 AM   #4

Thank you both for your input. Like everyone in the world I want to have my cake and eat it too so I do want to keep my cost as low as possible for the best lens :lol:. But, I don't want to waste $150 on a junk lens that I will be unhappy with even for personal photos. I was actually searching around the web and foundthe Canon 70-300 F/4-5.6 IS USM and the 70-200 F/4.0 L USM. They botharen't priced too bad and about the same I think.JohnG, I know you mentioned on of them, any input from a sports shooter between the two? Yes most ofmy son's sports are daytime butwould one be better overall (like if there is an overcast day)? Thanks again for all of the help!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:03 PM   #5

Well, each has there pros and cons. The 70-200 f4 is sharper (it's an L lens). But the 70-300 has more reach which is very nice for sports. If you could shoot from on the field for baseball and just off touch line for soccer then the 70-200 f4 is probably the better lens. The f4 will also work better in very overcast conditions (it's f4 vs 5.6)But the 70-300 gives you some flexibility to shoot from a little further away.

I think either lens would meet your needs. It's a personal preference as to which attributes mentioned above are more important to you.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:05 PM   #6

GatorKev,

JohnG and NHL are very knowlegable on the subject of sports shooting, and always give good advice. However, one lens worth at least a look might be the "new" Tamron SP70-200 f/2.8. I don't know anything about it personally, but it is competitively priced with Sigma. Link below. Robert

http://www.adorama.com/TM70200EOS.html
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 1:29 PM   #7
Administrator

The Autofocus speed is probably going to be slower than desired for sports use with that new Tamron on a Canon or Nikon body from reports I've seen (they also went with a built in motor for the Nikon mount, probably because the newer D40, D40x and D60 don't have focus motors built into the camera body)

Unfortunately, the built in focus motor in this lens appears to be relatively slow from reports I've seen on the Canon mount version of it. Because of that, I've already seen some Nikon owers with bodies that have very fast focus motors (D3H, etc.) complaining about Tamron's design decision to use a built in AF motor for Nikon mount.

It may turn out to be a winner on a Sony body (it's my understanding that Tamron is going to stick a screw drive AF mechanism in this mount, which means it will take advantage of the beefed up focus motors in Sony's newer camera bodies). The 2 Tamron lenses I use focus very fast AF on my Sony A700 using a screw drive AF system. We'll have to wait for user reports after it's shipping in Sony mount to see how well it does.

But, for a Canon or Nikon body, if you need fast AF for sports, you're probably better off spending a little more for a Sigma with HSM or a Canon with USM.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:47 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input! Can you use a multiplier (think that is what they are called)on the 70-200 f4 L USM to get a little more distance out of it or would that take away from the quality of it? I don't really know much about them but it would seem if it is possible it would make this lens closer to the 70-300 f4-5.6

As I learned in another post, I am looking for a lens to help me make a choice on a camera...
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:53 AM   #9

You can use a 1.4x TC on the 70-200 f4. Yes you'll see some degradation of quality. You'll also see a degradation of focus speed - more noticable when you're using AI-servo focusing for sports (as opposed to using single shot on static subjects).

If you're going to be using the TC anyway I would rather have the 70-300 lens in the first place. If you were going to use it without the TC most of the time the answer might be different.

If you're going to consider that route - I would look for people that shoot sports with the 70-200 f4 and TC and get first hand opinions (I don't use that lens).
Old Jul 7, 2008, 3:19 AM   #10

Everything of what I've read is that the 70-200 F4 focuses faster than the 70-300(different USM motors), which is very important for sports. The teleconverter, from users, does not appear to affect the focusing speed much. The F4 will also give you better separation from the background.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote