Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1

As lenses i have the 17-85, 70-300 IS, 10-22, and 50 1.8 now i don't have a problem changing lenses when needed, but just to make things fit better in my lowepro sideline shooter and traveling light on vacation, i was thinking of selling my 17-85 and 70-300 to buy the Sigma 18-200 OS, but something tells me that i will be making a big mistake, especially the review i read at photozone.de does anyone have this lens whats your take on it, i was thinking of the Tamron 18-250 but since my 400D doesn't have in body IS i changed my mind
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:48 AM   #2

HiHercules!

You are right you will be dissapointed. Me and my girlfriend are traveling for almost nine months now in Asia. We started with a 400D with Sigma 18-200mm. After 4 months we decided to sell the Sigma and buy these two:

- EF-S 10-22mm (better wide-angle)

- EF-L 24-105mm

Reasons why we changed where mainly the lack of sharpness and bad performance in low-light situations.

Our photos have more sharpness, saturation and more detail in low-light parts. Especially (ofcourse) with the L-lens whichis truly a giant leap forward after the Sigma!

edit: changed the Turkish ı's to i's :-)
MPW Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:14 AM   #3

MPW Peter wrote:
Quote:
HiHercules!

You are right you will be dissapointed. Me and my girlfriend are traveling for almost nine months now in Asia. We started with a 400D with Sigma 18-200mm. After 4 months we decided to sell the Sigma and buy these two:

- EF-S 10-22mm (better wide-angle)

- EF-L 24-105mm

Reasons why we changed where mainly the lack of sharpness and bad performance in low-light situations.

Our photos have more sharpness, saturation and more detail in low-light parts. Especially (ofcourse) with the L-lens whichis truly a giant leap forward after the Sigma!

edit: changed the Turkish ı's to i's :-)
I forgot all about this topic (3 months ago):G actually i bought the Sigma 18-200 OS shortly after then i sent it back as it had a back focus problem, then the shop gave me another one and the OS didn't work on that one so i sent that back and got my money back, anyway i still have my 17-85 and 70-300 IS, my 17-85 was way sharper than the sigma was, i will keep my 17-85 and 70-300, and next week i will order the new EF-S 18-200 IS to add to my bag
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote