Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:46 AM   #1

Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD (imported $354USD) or
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro ( $379USD)

My primary use would be indoor sports, but will also use as a general walk around lens too.
Another question will the warranty extend outside the US for both manufacturers. Thanks
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:20 AM   #2

garman wrote:
Quote:
Tamron SP 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD (imported $354USD) or
Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro ( $379USD)

My primary use would be indoor sports, but will also use as a general walk around lens too.
Another question will the warranty extend outside the US for both manufacturers. Thanks
What indoor sports and at what level?

What camera body?

Will this be your only indoor sporting lens or do you have another already?

This is critical. I shoot a lot of indoor sports. For basketball or volleyball in most HS gyms, 2.8 wont get you fast enough shutter speeds without flash/strobes (which around me are not allowed for volleyball anyway) below ISO 3200. Also, 50mm is very short. These can be OK if you have longer lenses and are just augmenting them.

Also, the lenses in question are not going to be very fast to focus so they're not well suited to low light sports use

So depending on your answers to my3 questions, neither of these lenses may be a good solution.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:37 PM   #3

Thanks for your response. I have a 70-200L 2.8 and a 120-300 2.8. I have a 50mm 1.8 and a 100mm 2.0 prime. My body is the Rebel XT. I'm just shooting kids sporting events, whatever my kid gets involved in next school year, I'll go and shoot. I am working on a 40D next year as a main body. i'm just looking for glass first. I do know that the Sigma has the HSM motor, which may help with the faster focus, but I read that the tamron has better glass, even wide open. Anyway any advice would truly be appreciated. Thanks garman
Old Jul 23, 2008, 4:41 PM   #4

If you're doing indoor sports then the 85mm f1.8 should be considered. It'll focus faster than the Sigma with the HSM and is much brighter lens than the 2.8.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:52 AM   #5

Sorry I'm looking at the 2 lenses. I just want to know which one of the 2 lenses is better. The 85mm for me would seem unwanted as I do have a 50mm and 100mm fast primes. Does anyone have the sigma or tamron mentioned early, what is your take on the lens and what are the "gotcha's" about each. Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Knowing the sport that will be covered will still be a help and I wouldn't make a purchase until that is known. Also as John points out the AF speed on these is going to struggle quite a bit.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What are the lenses you currently have not doing for you as most of us shooting indoor sports will work with f2 and brighter lenses unless you have an amazing gym or the are not moving much? I recently did a gymnastics event and had to run at f1.8 and ISO 6400 to get 1/1000s when using my lesser cameras and f2.8 lenses I was at 1/250s. Now that is a big difference if you want sharp shots.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2008, 4:24 PM   #7
NHL

garman wrote:
Quote:
Sorry I'm looking at the 2 lenses. I just want to know which one of the 2 lenses is better.
Out of the two The Tamron is probably the sharper one according to Photozone... although the Sigma will have less of a distortion:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/28...review?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/31...review?start=1

The Sigma does not have HSM in the Canon mount (available only in Nikon mount for their D40-60's) so I don't believe the AF speed is a factor as both lens are probably equal in AF speed and like others have pointed out you'll struggling in fast actions with slow drives...

I do not own theses lenses but do have a Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 - It'll probably be slow on a Canon too, but is of much higher quality as it's made of metal and also slighly wider. On my D300 this lens does not have a motor but is driven directly from the camera's high torque motor with no gearing reduction so the lens just snap instantly into focus (like most Nikon primes...)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 6:36 AM   #8

I have the Tamron and love it. Sharp as a tack. It actually focuses fairly fast. I haven't used it for indoor sports, though.

Bob M
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2008, 9:07 PM   #9

Thanks for all your help. I think I will go for the Sigma lens, just from what I was reading. I didn't realize that HSM was not provided, would have been nice. As for lens specific sports, I just wanted to do some general sports shooting. I have no Idea what my kid may try for next school year so that's not a issue. For me I do not have good quality glass on the short end, that's why I was looking to kill to birds with one stone.
BTW no one has addressed the out of country warranty with these 2 lenses. This is very important. Will they honour it in Canada if I buy in the US.