Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jul 31, 2008, 6:01 PM   #1

Hi everybody I was wondering if anybody had any experience with this lens I was thinking of getting it to use on my 40D also would anyone know if this lens will autofocus with my kenko 1.4 extender Thanks to all,

Alan
ultranitwit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:26 PM   #2

got it .love it. use it on my xsi. vc is much better than i thought it could be. would like it a little wider but this will be my walk around lens.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 4:50 AM   #3

Hi there.

Tamrom has just announced a NEW lens, which IMHO i better suited for a 1.5x or 1.6x "crop" camera like the Canon 40D...

The name of this is: "AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro" (that's a mouthful. Or in other words, the lens is a 18-270mm (35mm equivalent: 29-432mm on a Canon 40D), max aperture 3.5 (wide) to 6.3 (tele) vibration control piece of glass! It should give you more at the wide end than the lens you actually asked about (c.f 18mm vs 28mm).

I don't know about the release or price (I suspect it won't be out for a few months)... but maybe this is the "ultrazoom" many have been waiting for. I also heard rumours that Canon might have a superzoom in the pipeline, but nothing confirmed.

Here is more information about this lens: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0807/08...amron18270.asp

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:48 AM   #4

Have the lens on a 400D. Have not regretted getting it.

Only issue I have is lens creep. The barrel tends to extend when you carry the camera with the lens pointing down. The lens lock solves this but can be annoying when you forget.

I read in the forum that Tamron does have a fix for this but you need to send in the lens.

Take a look at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrisof...7605021024366/

These sample photos helped sell me on this lens.
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 8:13 PM   #5

Would this lens be adequate for college football? My son plays at a Div II school. It appeals to me to be able to use the same lens to take pictures in the stands and some shotsof the field as well. All of the games are day-time. I love my sports photography, but convenience is important too. The $600 price tag on this lens is my drop dead high point if someone is able to make another suggestion.

Thanks!
margstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 3:30 AM   #6

I am not sure about football games.

But if it is outdoor and in daytime, I don't see any reason why you cannot get decent shots.

Night games will be another story because you do not have a fast enough lens with this particular lens.

Old Sep 2, 2008, 5:05 AM   #7

Thanks for taking the time to respond. . . I'm not interested in carrying a super heavy long lens. . . this may be the compromise that I'm looking for.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 7:37 AM   #8

be advised, 300mm is good for about 40 yards of coverage from YOUR position to the subject. Sitting in the stands most of that distance will be eaten up by the distance from you to the sidelines. If all you care about is snapshot quality (i.e. seeing a bunch of people on the field recognizable as players) then you can get some shots. But if you want any level of quality, 300mm will be far too short from the stands.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:40 PM   #9

Quite true. Even on a crop sensor, the 300mm will not be good, from the stands, for capturing specific players.

If this is the objective, then you need to look at the longer lenses - you are now getting into some serious equipment and cost.

I've used a Sigma 150-500mm. This is a good lens if you need to go this long.

Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:29 AM   #10

Thanks both of you for taking the time to respond. I'm torn. . . . It's a small campus, so I won't be too far off of the field and I really don't want to carry a huge lens. . . .but my desire to impulse buy is passing. I'll give it some more thought. Maybe I need to wait for the next generation tamron that they announced recently. I wish I knew the price point on that. - Margstamps