Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 6, 2003, 5:53 AM   #1

Default Canon Lenses (for D.Rebel) vs. F717

I own a Sony Cybershot F707 right now (I've had it for a little more than a year now and have really enjoyed it) but I'm really interested in upgrading to the F717 (especially after using it for a weekend). However, with the Canon Digital Rebel on the market now, I'm starting to think it's time for me to get into the dSLR realm. I don't have a huge budget and one of my concerns is the quality of the optics of Canon's cheap EF lenses. Now, I'm an enthusiast photographer, not a pro photographer so I'm not sure I need to spend a lot of money on a really expensive lens right now (especially because of my tight budget).

If I got the Digital Rebel I was considering getting either the starter kit with the EF-S 18-55mm lens and then getting a EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM II lens to go with it (giving me a total of ~11x optical zoom, which is awesome). That'd bring me up to $1,209.90 (on B&H anyway). However, they also have a little more versatile EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 lens for $359.95, and I'm thinking I could skip the 18-55mm starter lens and get a wide-angle lens to cover my sub-44.8mm stuff later on (my F707 has a 38-190mm lens and thus far I've really only been wanting more telephoto, most of the time). With that lens instead, I'd be at $1,258.95 and have less need for swapping lenses, which is good in the racing photography I mostly do.

So will these inexpensive lenses be as good as (or better than?) the F707/F717's Carl Zeiss 38-190mm lens? If not, what would? And will the autofocus speeds be adversely affected by any of the above lenses (racing photography, after all, needs speed).

Thanks!
RobertMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:04 AM   #2

An important question I forgot to emphasize, is "Which lens is better: the EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 USM II or the EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM?" (I would assume the latter, but you never know. FWIW, the former certainly looks cooler. )
Old Nov 2, 2003, 4:25 PM   #3

Since you already have an F707, I can't imagine that the upgrade to the 717 would be worthwhile, considering that it's not a whole lot more to go to the digital Rebel. As for comparing the lens quality, I'm afraid I can't help you there...
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 12:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanPhotos
Since you already have an F707, I can't imagine that the upgrade to the 717 would be worthwhile, considering that it's not a whole lot more to go to the digital Rebel. As for comparing the lens quality, I'm afraid I can't help you there...
No matter what, I'm buying something and for the longest time I was going to get the F717 (the shutter lag alone makes it a worthwhile upgrade, IMO), but the Digital Rebel is just too good to ignore.

I've determined that as soon as I can sell my F707 for a reasonable price (considering I paid $1,100 for all the gear I've got, I didn't think $600 was unreasonable but I doubt I'll get it), I'm going to get a Digital Rebel (with the 18-55mm EF-S lens) and then the new 55-200mm lens to go with it. That should be a great package, as far as I can tell.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 6:19 PM   #5

Just about every question in this forum about the 18-55 lens that comes with the kit of the D300 says "Get the lens". Everyone agrees. Having a true wide angle zoom lens for $100 is more than worth it and you can't get it later if you decide to change your mind unless you find some individual to buy it from. It is not for sale on its own. The Idea of getting a long range zoom like the 28-200 or even better the 28-300 is a good idea if you don't mind the high minimum apeture. I recently traded my tameron 24-70 and 75-300 lens with a broken autofocus motor + $175 for a used tameron 28-300. I will use the 28-300 for 90% of my work and use the 18-55 for parties when I need to get 20 people in the picture or for panaramic shots.

You say "(my F707 has a 38-190mm lens and thus far I've really only been wanting more telephoto, most of the time) The 28-200 lens will not give you a true 28mm wide angle because of the conversion of 1.6x on all 35mm lenses. The 28-200 becomes a 45-320. I wouldn't give up that much of a wide angle even if most of your shots are telephoto.
Todd Roisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 6:22 PM   #6

Just about every question in this forum about the 18-55 lens that comes with the kit of the D300 says "Get the lens". Everyone agrees. Having a true wide angle zoom lens for $100 is more than worth it and you can't get it later if you decide to change your mind unless you find some individual to buy it from. It is not for sale on its own. The Idea of getting a long range zoom like the 28-200 or even better the 28-300 is a good idea if you don't mind the high minimum apeture. I recently traded my tameron 24-70 and 75-300 lens with a broken autofocus motor + $175 for a used tameron 28-300. I will use the 28-300 for 90% of my work and use the 18-55 for parties when I need to get 20 people in the picture or for panaramic shots.

You say "(my F707 has a 38-190mm lens and thus far I've really only been wanting more telephoto, most of the time) The 28-200 lens will not give you a true 28mm wide angle because of the conversion of 1.6x on all 35mm lenses. The 28-200 becomes a 45-320. I wouldn't give up that much of a wide angle even if most of your shots are telephoto.
Todd Roisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:44 PM   #7
djb

just my opinion but, i would go for the rebel!!!! i tried one out and loved the feel of it (i tried a 10d and liked it more). but, i'm used to use film slr cameras so a dslr would be my choice. as for the 18-55mm lens, i would get it with the camera as a good general purpose lens. see widowmaker's bee and hover fly picture in the wildlife forum. for a $100 lens, it's really nice!!! just my 2 cents worth.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 2:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roisman
The Idea of getting a long range zoom like the 28-200 or even better the 28-300 is a good idea if you don't mind the high minimum apeture.
And if I did, what would you suggest? Do you think the 55-200mm is a bad idea? It's certainly a stylish lens (looks just like the 18-55mm and that's no conicdence). Not that such things matter worth a damn, but still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Roisman
Oh, I'm well aware of the 1.6x focal length multiplier. That's why I said I wasn't concerned about the lens, because though I'd be losing some wideangle, I'd be gaining a ton of telephoto, and in my mind that was worthwhile. That said, I've since made up my mind to get the 18-55mm lens (playing with it certainly didn't hurt ), so I'm only stuck choosing which to get as my second one. The 55-200mm is priced well enough ($210) that it fits my budget, and will work great when I'm at the races.

The only thing I'd like to see is a comparison of how these various lenses affect autofocus times. When I played with the Digital Rebel at Best Buy, I got to swap on a 100-300mm (odd choice to be the only EF lens they had in the store, I thought), and I was shocked at how badly the AF slowed down. Granted, there's nothing to really do about that, and once it was within the bracket of where it needed to be it wasn't an issue, but I guess that's what the "continuous AF" mode is for.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 5:18 AM   #9
NHL

Generally Lenses with UtraSonic Motor (USM) will focus faster and also quieter. Because of their construction they do not require any reduction gearing either making it possible to overide their AF by just turning the focus ring... without having to flip the AF/MF switch

If you want a super zoom there's a 50-500mm from Sigma that's quite sharp and come with Sigma's version of utrasonic AF called HSM, but it's probably more than you want to spend for... Canon also has a 35-350mm 'L' which is even more costly though. 8)

... A note of caution though when USM first came out it was a ring type which is the best. Canon have now lenses with tiny coreless motor which can still be called USM but are not quite as speedy or quiet but reduce the cost of theses lenses quite a bit. Theses lenses are still better than the non-USM lenses though. :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 1:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
If you want a super zoom there's a 50-500mm from Sigma that's quite sharp and come with Sigma's version of utrasonic AF called HSM, but it's probably more than you want to spend for... Canon also has a 35-350mm 'L' which is even more costly though. 8)
Oh, I'm very familiar with the 35-350mm L-lens. Now that would be the one to get! Only problem is that it costs more than the Digital Rebel itself. If I could afford that, I'd be getting 10D instead.

Speaking of which, my uncle got the 10D and an L-lens—I believe the 24-70mm but it could be the 16-35mm—and though I've been itching to play with them, he's neglected to bring the thing to the last two family gatherings we've had. I guess that's what you can get when you get paid for your photography. I wonder what that's like.

BTW, is this cheaper form of USM what "USM II" is?