Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 4, 2008, 4:29 PM   #1

Hope you can help, I have a canon EOS 400D camera which I use for my passion that is Motocross Photography, I have a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG lense which works really well although I think it doesn't focus as quick as I'd like,unfortunately my lense packed up today the motor on the autofocus jammed, I have just started to use the camera in Semi Manual mode (TV Mode) which I'm very excited about as the photo's I have taken so far have beenvery creative. Somewhat softbut still look good. I run a website dedicated to motocross http://www.4thGearPinned.com which I fund myself, every week rain or shine I take pictures of these guys, the feedback I get makes it all worth it. Can you please recommend a lense that would perform really well for my type of hobby. I don't have a big budget so between 100 to 150 pounds would be excellent. Hope you can help , as I am a newbie to photography and rely on the recommendations of people in the know.
warriorsoul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:22 AM   #2

I think you'll have difficulty taking the next step up with that budget. The next step up, performance wise, would be the Canon 70-300 ($560 USD). Anything less is going to have similar issues to the Sigma (soft from 200-300 and slow to focus).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, i was going to buy another Sigma lense the same as i had ,i was just wondering if there is another lense similar price that would work better.
any recommendations ..

Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:50 PM   #4

The Sigmas are going to be slower focusing compared to a Canon with USM.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 4:13 AM   #5

Can You Recommend A Certain Canon Lense KALEL33
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:15 AM   #6
Super Moderator

There are many Canon lenses with USM but here Kalel will be talking about the Canon 70-300mm IS USM. It is the only lens that offers a step up from the basic lenses in the 70-300mm range, after than things start getting really expensive. This is the one http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1010309

Still not cheap but other than that you go Tamron or Sigma. I have played with both and I couldn't decide which was the better option. The Canon is a big step up, then you go to the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 as a bigger step again or for you the Sigma 100-300mm f4 (very very sharp lens)might do well as generally you will be shooting daylight and that extra range can help http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1010210

As you can see the price jumps are high but this is where you get the quality from. If I was to use my 1D MkIII with the basic Sigma or Tamron lens and you were to use say the 100-300m f4 your shots would kill mine for quality!!
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote