Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 5, 2008, 2:29 PM   #1

Hi all,

I have a Canon 30D that I use primarily for taking whitewater kayaking shots. Typically, I just use the sports setting and take several shots. Most of the time I'm standing on wet rocks or the side of a cliff and don't have time to worry about camera settings, and usually I'm not sure when a subject will come into frame. I was using a 28-135 IS, but it took a bath in the river not too long ago. For the most part I really liked the lens and it worked well for me, but I would like something a little wider. The IS feature is nice because frequently we are in dim gorges.

What I really need is a new lens that has a fast AF, is easy to use, reasonably compact, and under $600USD.

I was thinking about a Sigma 18-200, Sigma 18-125, or a Canon 18-85IS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Typical environment:

http://www.oregonkayaking.net/rivers/entiat/entiat.html

http://www.oregonkayaking.net/rivers/cascade/cascade.html
cjarnold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:47 PM   #2

The 17-85mmIS would be the best choice for you for retaining IS and focusing speed. The IS shouldn't matter on the shot's you're trying to get, but it will work for you in static situations.

Just a suggestion, but your photos would turn out much much better if you get out of the green box. I shoot 90% of the time in Av and it won't take you that long to learn to use that for kayaking by watching the shutter speeds and kicking up the ISO's when needed.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 8:46 PM   #3

Like Ka...? said, the first thing I would suggest is not using the sports setting. I have a 40D and primarily shoot dog agility. I use AV most of the time, it becomes second nature to change the ISO if you need to.

Seems to me that I read somewhere that in sports mode, the ISO is only at 400.That's pretty ridiculously low for fast action in dark spots.

Bump your ISO up to 800 or 1000, you probably won't need to change it when you go to dark spots then.
As to your lens question, I have the Sigma 18-200 f 3.5-4.6 IS. If that's the one you're thinking of, it would probably be too slow (too small an aperture) for your needs.
Although it may very well work if you bump the ISO up.

Another lens you might want to look at is the Sigma 17-70mm f 2.8-4.5. I don't really know much about this lens, but if you don't need a lot of reach, it looks fast and compact. Also, it's within your budget.

Joe
Kalispell, MT
Canon 40D
Sigma 18-200
Canon 85mm f 1.8
Canon 70-200 f 2.8 IS L

cjarnold2 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

I have a Canon 30D that I use primarily for taking whitewater kayaking shots. Typically, I just use the sports setting and take several shots. Most of the time I'm standing on wet rocks or the side of a cliff and don't have time to worry about camera settings, and usually I'm not sure when a subject will come into frame. I was using a 28-135 IS, but it took a bath in the river not too long ago. For the most part I really liked the lens and it worked well for me, but I would like something a little wider. The IS feature is nice because frequently we are in dim gorges.

What I really need is a new lens that has a fast AF, is easy to use, reasonably compact, and under $600USD.

I was thinking about a Sigma 18-200, Sigma 18-125, or a Canon 18-85IS.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Typical environment:

http://www.oregonkayaking.net/rivers/entiat/entiat.html

http://www.oregonkayaking.net/rivers/cascade/cascade.html
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote