Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:47 PM   #11

Thank you.
As for borrowing a TC to see how it would work, unfortunately (or fortunately depending upon your viewpoint), I live in a remote area of Montana with no big camera stores, I don't know anyone that uses the stuff either.
I'm thinking my best bet will be the Sigma 100-300 f4, with a 1.4 TC to use if needed.

Joe
Kalispell, MT

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
I've merged this with your other thread so you don't get duplicate posts and people can see what has been said already.
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:36 PM   #12

I went ahead and ordered a Canon 1.4x TC. I was looking at what I've spent on my hobby in the last 6 months, I really don't need to spend another $1,000 and have another big lens to haul around.

I went with the 1.4 just cause I've done a lot of reading that says it hasn't as long of a reach, but tends to be sharper. If it's not long enough, no worries, I can always send it back and get the 2X.
I think the 2X, with an L lens, probably would be fine in terms of sharpness, but I really didn't want to lose 2 f stops.

Joe Fisher
Kalispell, MT
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 2:39 AM   #13
Super Moderator

With a 1.4x TC you are going to get lovely results and you won't notice much difference in quality and also the AF won't change much either so probably a good choice and a lot cheaper than the new lens.

Looking forward to hearing how it works out and seeing some shots.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote