Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 6, 2008, 3:03 PM   #1

I own a Canon 350D and I am looking to spend some money and get some decent lenses.

I shoot right mixture of photos, wildlife, indoor and most importantly Sport.

Can someone please advise within a budget of £800 ish the lenses that would best assist me in this.

I've read a lot about getting a CAnon 50mm prime and also 70-200 2.8 or f4.

Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2008, 3:24 PM   #2
Super Moderator

You say most importantly sports, I shoot sports and it is one of the hardest, most kit intensive areas to aid in getting good results.

What sort of sports do you shoot? The 50mm f1.8 might be OK for shooting basketball from under the hoop but that's about it. The 70-200mm f2.8 is a great lens, I use the IS versions for some of my work and it is a lovely lens to say the least but just might not be long enough for certain things.

So they might be a good choice but we need to know more of what you want to get out of the kit otherwise it could be £800+ badly spent.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2008, 6:12 PM   #3

Just echoing Mark. There is no one-lens-for-all-sports so the the 'right' lens (or more likely lenses) depends on the sports you shoot, the time of day you'll shoot and where you'll be shooting from (i.e. stands vs. field).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:54 PM   #4

Put simply the sports side is Football and from behind the hjoardings but not in the stand and hopefully on some occasions pitch side but often you're at the wrong end ofht e field.

The 70-200 sounds good and then I could get a x1.4 converter.

The bulk of my photos will be done during the day but there are evening games. Due to budget I'd like a decent all round telephoto lens that will cover most things.

Is the Sigma a worthwhile sub for the Canon as it's half the price but I don't want to skimp on the kit.

Old Sep 9, 2008, 5:55 PM   #5

Add to that I've heard good things obviously about the 2.8 but would the 4 bbe just as good as many say how they have to stop it down a touch anyway. Also I guess IS is a must if there is any handheld photography going on.
Old Sep 9, 2008, 6:09 PM   #6

OK,

Soccer from outside the fences? 200mm will be way, way too short. From on the field 300mm is a bit short so if you're outside the fence I would suggest a 400mm lens. 200mm is really only good for about 25 yards of coverage - not much at all in soccer - especially when you're outside the fence.

But it would be tough to get 400mm and stay in your budget. And no lens in the 300-400mm range at consumer prices is going to be good enough for night games (you'd need a 2.8 lens for night games).

The least expensive option would be the bigma (sigma 50-500) which sells for around $1000 USD. I'm afraid that's the price point you're going to be at when you need that kind of reach.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:45 PM   #7

I'm not outside the fences as such and I am after the penalty area shots, it's non league so you're much closer to to the action. I am just not sure which 70-200....2.8 I guess would be better but is it worth the money and is IS really that good to have.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:51 PM   #8

IS wont do a bit to improve your shots for this type of shooting. It's beneficial in other areas but not this one. You need shutter speeds > 1/400 (preferably > 1/1000). Unless you have a physical disorder, you should easily be able to keep the rig steady at those speeds. Unless you have some other requirement which would benefit from IS, IMO you're wasting money that could be spent on other things by paying for IS.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 9:57 AM   #9

This is my biggest issue as I paying out that money I will also be after normla shooting. I am guessing for wildlife I need to be looking at 100-400 lens etc.

What about racing (cars) will the 70-200 2.8 be the best option and save money and not go for IS?
Old Sep 20, 2008, 11:28 PM   #10

Remember that on the 350D youve got a Focal Length Multiplier of 1.6x anyway due to the smaller chip size.

A 200mm lens on it would be comparable to a 320 lens on a 35mm Canon, or one of the more expensive canon digital cameras with the full size sensor. So the 70-200 f4 may suit your needs. And its half the cost of the f2.8 version.

I may be wrong but with most of the action taking place within a 10 to 20 ft space on the field at any given moment, an f stop of 2.8 would just blur out a good amount of the action on either side of the focus point due to the smaller DoF.

Also the 50 f1.4 is a really nice lens. but with the 1.6 multiplier of the 350D it effectively becomes an 80 f1.4, which may not be wide enough in some situations. Though really nice for group portraits.

The 24-70 f2.8 may work best for indoor shots. And with the 1.6 x chip in the 350d and a large aperature it would also be a great lens for portraits of the players, either alone or grouped.

In the U.S. a 50 f1.4 is about $325 and a 70-200 f2.8 is around $1200, where a 24-70 f2.8 is $1200 and the 70-200 f4 is $600. So it would be a little more expensive.

Since you said that shooting sport is the most important factor Id stick with Canon on the long lens, and if you needed to save a little go with a Tamron or Sigma on the short zoom. In the U.S. their 28-70 2.8's are under $400, so pairing one with a Canon 70-200 f4 would be at least $200 cheaper than a Canon 70-200 f2.8 alone!
tobybear is offline   Reply With Quote