Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 9, 2008, 3:15 PM   #1

Can anyone give me their two cents on these two lenses? I am looking for something to shoot freehand at birds in flight. It will be attached to a canon 40D and I'm just a beginner at this.
gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:35 AM   #2
djb

Well, the canon 100-400 is about 1 lb. lighter, has about a 1/2 stop faster through out the focal range (f/4.5-5.6 as sigma f/5.6-6.3) and is a push/pull zoom but, the sigma 150-500mm is 25% longer in focal length and I believe, ituses a normal zoom ring. The canon has a 1:2.5 magnification ratio as opposed to sigma's 1:5.2. I have the canon 100-400mm and it is very light for BIF photography (light for me as I sometimes handhold my 500mm). I also ocaissionally use it with extension tubes for closeups. The canon has 2 focud limiter selections, not sure if the sigma does the same. Both have image stabilization. Canonhas 2 IS modes. not sure about sigma. Both come with tripod ring.500mm is definitely a plus for wildlife photography, especially smaller birds. The canon 100-400mm is a proven design and the sigma is a new design. that's all i canthink of for now.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:09 AM   #3

I appreciate you helping me out. I just don't know if it's worth the extra money with me being a rookie. I hope I will grow into either lens and realize I could always upgrade to the canon later.
gimp is offline   Reply With Quote