Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 28, 2009, 3:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

Finally got my hand on a 12-24mm. Just in time for our trip to Paris :G Took a quick and dirty shot this morning. It's a little soft on the left hand side but everything else seems to be good. Can't wait to try it out in Paris. Thanks again guys!

Chris

cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 8:01 AM   #12
NHL
Senior Member
 
NHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 39.18776, -77.311353333333
Posts: 11,547
Default

cmoy wrote:
Quote:
It's a little soft on the left hand side but everything else seems to be good
Your lens may have a centering problem... The left side should not look like that!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 9:41 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

NHL wrote:
Quote:
cmoy wrote:*
Quote:
It's a little soft on the left hand side but everything else seems to be good
Your lens may have a centering problem... The left side should not look like that!**
Can this be fixed?

Chris
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
algold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Israel
Posts: 369
Default

if this is a new lens under warranty, a trip (or two) to Sigma should take care of it.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

algold wrote:
Quote:
if this is a new lens under warranty, a trip (or two) to Sigma should take care of it.
It's a second hand lens. We're leaving for Paris in a few weeks so I'll most likely send it out after our trip. If I use the lens I'll make sure to leave enough room so I can crop out the left side. I figure it's better to have the lens with me on vacation than not have it at all. Thanks algold!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:31 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dickson, Tennessee
Posts: 461
Default

Your lens looks as if it may have been dropped. When I used to work in my Dads camera repair shop I saw this fairly often. A quick and dirty lens test is to put your camera on a tripod and shoot a brick wall. Corner to corner sharpness is pretty easy to compare with this simple test.
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:18 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

shadokachr wrote:
Quote:
Your lens looks as if it may have been dropped. When I used to work in my Dads camera repair shop I saw this fairly often. A quick and dirty lens test is to put your camera on a tripod and shoot a brick wall. Corner to corner sharpness is pretty easy to compare with this simple test.
I'll give it a try. Thanks shadokachr!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:04 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
cmoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,712
Default

I took some test shots, sorry about the dusty walls :sad: I shot these in raw with the camera mounted on a tripod with a remote switch and mirror lock up. The left side cleared up when I stopped down to f/13 as you can see. Only editing I did was in DPP RAW sharpness to 3, RGB sharpness to 50 and levels on CS2. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Chris

I'm not posting the original test photo just 100% crops of the upper left corner since the rest of the photo is fine.

f/4.5


f/8


f/9


f/11


f/13
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:38 AM.