Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 19, 2008, 5:06 PM   #1

I have the 18-55 lens and a 50mm 1.8 but I need to get a shorter decent lens without breaking the bank, it will be used indoors so light might be an issue.

Can have some decent suggestions on my options.

Thanks as usual all
Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:09 AM   #2

50mm too long for portraits on a 1.6 crop sensor? It comes out to 80mm on a full size sensor / 35mm negative, which is getting into optimum portrait lens focal length.

Anyway in another thread you were asking about Canon 70-200 zooms and were looking to spend around L800 (sorry but I dont have a pound symbol).

Anyway you could probably get a Canon 70-200L f4 for under L500, and a Sigma 24 or 28-70 f2.8 or Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for about L300 or less depending on the model. And stay within your original budget of L800.

Id stick with the Canon in the sports setting since I feel the af is a bit quicker, and more reliable in fast sporting situations.

While the af in the Tamron or Sigma will be just fine in a portrait setting where people are either posed or going about daily activities, and not running around chasing a ball, or other people.
tobybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 6:14 PM   #3

I have to disagree. Shooting indoors will require a person to shoot in Av mode and go to the aperture that will give you the shutter speed you need. If you're shooting in the green box, then your in for a world of improved photos when you start going in Av, Tv. and M. Shooting DSLRs in auto modes won't give you that much better photos than a really good point and shoot. You buy the DSLR to give you more control....why not use it? Also, AF speed doesn't change with settings...it's dependent upon the lens and the scene.

For the OP, 50mm lens is about where you want to be for indoor portraits. You could use a 34mm prime, but you have to watch out for distortion of people's faces. There are two other options, you could try Tamron's 17-50 F2.8 or go with an external flash, bouncing the flash off of the ceiling to add light.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:12 PM   #4

Sorry, when I said AF I meant the auto focus on the lens, all my Conon lenses seem to be a bit faster finding the correct focus than my 3rd party lenses which would hunt a little longer.
tobybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 1:36 AM   #5

Third party lens are slower because they have to reverse engineer the Canon algorithms. Canon wants to keep them a secret in order for you to buy the Canon brand lens. Just think if the Sigma and Tamron lens focused just as fast as the best Canons....they'd lose many sales.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote