Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:15 PM   #11

NHL wrote:
Quote:
IMO you're better off with the 18-55 IS kit lens and a fast aperture 70-200 f/2.8
At least with a 70-200 f/2.8 you can use it with a 2xTC to get to 400mm f/5.6
I have a similar setup I have a 17-40mm and the 70-200mm F2.8 IS. It serves me good so far.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:37 PM   #12

Well, I guess my main reason for not purchasing the EF 70-200 f/2.8, is because it is out of our price range. I cannot disagree with you as to the pictures it takes, but this lens is just way out of our league. When I pull it up on ebay, the least expensive option is $910.00, and that auction isn't even over yet.

To be truthful, I am exhausted from the lens search. The pics on the PixelPeep site with the 18-55mm lens were O.K., but both of us felt that the EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM pics were much sharper, and when you show a full screen shot, there were no color variations, as there were with the EF 75-300. That one definitely does NOT get our vote. So, I began to play around with lenses that did fit into our price range, and the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 along with the EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM do fit. It might be a bit over, but I think it is worth it.

As for what types of shots Joel will be taking, to be honest, they range from a plane flying low over our house, to sunsets to action shots mostly of people riding horses. He also likes to take a lot of pictures of our dogs and cats when they are laying around, just being cute.

I do undertand the concept of waiting until he can afford a better lens, but at $10.00/week allowance, that just isn't going to pile up very fast, and he already is contributing a fair amount to this purchase, and this isn't the only thing he wants to spend his money on. He also has an awesome telescope he would like to get some things for.

I hope this information helps,
Carol

CoffeeRoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:27 PM   #13

Just a friendly word of caution. If your cruising the net looking for deals BEWARE...IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THEN IT PROBABLY ISN'T...there are far too many scams so use CAUTION
http://www.resellerratings.com/
this website is pretty good in checking out reputable camera stores
i just bought a REBEL XSi , and so i will not comment on lens choices
But i do own the kit 18-55mm IS (made in japan) version and if you play around with your camera settings you can get some pretty decent shots. see sample
Just bought a 28-135mm IS for $300Cdn from ebay, waiting for it to arrive, will let you know how it works out.
Pete
Attached Images

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 1:54 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Carol,

Just a warning and to agree with John.

The 28-105 is a poor lens, and a poor choice to go with the camera you have chosen, because it will leave your son without a wide-angle option. On the entry level DSLRs you account for the "crop factor" which happens because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film. Multiply the real focal length by 1.6 to get an equivalent 35mm focal length.

18-55*1.6=>28-88mm equivalent.

28-105*1.6=>45-168mm equivalent. This is a pretty horrible range for general photography unless you also have a wide angle lens.

The 18-55 IS is much better. You were probably seeing samples from the earlier¬*non-IS version of the lens, which was not nearly as good optically.

Looking at sample pictures taken by different people with different cameras is a very¬*poor way of getting a feel for optical quality, because the skill of the photographer and¬*shooting conditions are so variable. A good photographer with cheap equipment will take better pictures than a novice with $20,000 worth of gear. How do you know who took those pictures?

Check out these reviews of the 18-55 IS if you are still uncertain:

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1114/cat/11

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/18...report--review

And finally, please please please be careful of eBay for buying cameras. There are a few good deals around, and a few wonderful stores, but there are a lot of nasty sharks in those waters who will sell you junk and make you think you are getting a good deal. In particular stay away from the big bundles that look like a great deal but are basically a bag of junk + a decent camera (probably without warrantee).

Purchase from a big reputable store (online is fine) with a good returns policy and a no-nonsense warrantee. Cameras are like any other electronic items, they can break, they can be faulty. The big stores are very competetive on price. Don't save yourself $50 now and roll the dice on losing $500 in a couple of months.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:02 AM   #15
NHL

CoffeeRoaster wrote:
Quote:
Well, I guess my main reason for not purchasing the EF 70-200 f/2.8, is because it is out of our price range. I cannot disagree with you as to the pictures it takes, but this lens is just way out of our league. When I pull it up on ebay, the least expensive option is $910.00, and that auction isn't even over yet.
I wasn't thinking of the Canon's EF as there are many options here which JohnG already went through about their 'pro' and 'con': http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/..._n15/page2.asp

Theses alternatives may fit your budget better and will be more productive than getting some Canon branded lenses which will not perform as good or as flexible on the 40D. The 18-55 IS like everyone has suggested is a 'must-have' all around lens and then you only have to pick one more lens for the distant shots...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:39 AM   #16

To begin with, I would like to quell any idea that I am "going it on the cheap" using ebay. I have used ebay to purchase things for many years. I am extremely careful as to who I buy from. I will spend literally hours, checking all the different options, emailing the seller, and asking lots of questions. If I get an answer that I don't like, they are out. As an example, I asked one person recently why they were selling whatever it was, and the answer was "bcause". Wow, that was informative! I have even been known once or twice to email someone that has already purchased the same item from a particular seller, to see how they liked the product, and to see how the seller treated them. We live in the country, so I do most of our shopping for things online. I am totally in agreement that if something looks too good, it probably is too good. On the other hand, when I go into a store, I often see prices that are a LOT higher than what I know I can purchase something for online. It is a matter of being very careful.

Having said that, we have decided to wait until Joel's camera arrives, and take it, along with a laptop computer, and go into town, and go to the Wolf's camera store. They are wonderful people. We are going to try out some of their lenses, and take a few pictures, then download them to the laptop, so we can make an informed decision. I am sure they will also make some recommendations.

We will also try out the Sigma lens that you have recommended. His camera should be here any day now, so maybe we can go this weekend. Oh yes, I also cannot stand the companies ebay that put together these big bundles. Most of what they have in them, are items you don't want, or need. As an example, Joel has a particular camera bag that he likes by Lowepro, and this case is very rarely in the kits. That is what made me decide to purchase things separately, and that way, he gets what he wants, and we are actually saving a little bit of money.

I still welcome any other ideas that you have. We really want this to be a very special gift. He has had a rough last couple of years, and we are really wanting to encourage him in his area of giftedness with the photography.

Blessings,
Carol
CoffeeRoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:22 AM   #17

If you want to save alot of money buy at these online stores. I have not found many sites that beat their deals.

http://www.adorama.com/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:09 PM   #18

Also try

Sigma4less.com
garman is offline   Reply With Quote