Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 30, 2008, 7:25 PM   #1

I am looking to get the 50mm 1.8 (as it goes for like $80-$100) and I want to take some portrait shots etc.

Now a buddy of mine has the 1.4 he's willing to sell to me for $200-$250 and I cannot (at this time) justify going down to 1.4 and spening almost twice as much. Though new the lens is closer to $300-400.

How much is a difference of the 1.8 to 1.4. I'm pretty much just starting out with my EOS 450D and I would like to get something I can use indoors and still take a decent portrait type photo.

Most people I talk to say I should go for a 50mm. I also do product photography for product reviews and was told I should get a 50mm prime for that as well.

Currently I have the kit (18-55mm IS) lens and the 75-300 USM.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:40 AM   #2

nifty-fifty (50mm f/1.8) is a great lens for the price. It's a bit soft wide open, the build quality is so-so (but what can you expect for a $80 :-)), AF is noisy and hunts a lot in low light and sometimes misses the focus completely, manual focus is difficult to put it mildly. 50mm f/1.4 has better build, better AF and is sharper at f/1.8. At f/2.0-2.2 and down both lenses are about equally sharp. Both will bring you great results.
If you don't mind a cheap plastic build of the f/1.8 lens, go for it. Indoors it's good for half-length and head and shoulders portraits with it's 'classic' portrait FOV of 80mm on a crop camera. You will need a lot more space to shoot full length portraits with this lens. If you can afford $200-250 now, go for a used f/1.4 lens - you will be happier in a long run. Another option is to buy a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro for about $260 new (used are quite a bit cheaper) - macro lens will work both for your portraits and product shots. Since I got Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro I rarely use my nifty fifty, YMMV
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:25 AM   #3

What I learned in this game of buying lenses for a DSLR is to wait and save money for a better lens, you will not regret it. I had the 50mm F1.8 and it was a hit and miss with AF. I have since sold it and now have the 85mm F1.8 and its is now one of my favorite lenses to take portrait photosright next to my 70-200mm F2.8 IS.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:08 AM   #4

85 f/1.8 USM lens is a different beast both quality and price wise. For indoor use it's also a bit long, unless you only shoot head portraits.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:35 AM   #5

algold wrote:
Quote:
85 f/1.8 USM lens is a different beast both quality and price wise. For indoor use it's also a bit long, unless you only shoot head portraits.
I know I was just bringing it up as something to look at.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies!

I agree with the save up and buy later so perhaps I'll just play around with my 18-55mm for now and see how well it does when I tinker around at a wedding next week.

Yea no I won't be the photographer for the wedding but I will get to go around and take hundreds of photos! lol

Old Oct 1, 2008, 5:07 PM   #7

Note that the 1.4 also has a manual focus ring, which can be really handy sometimes.

I have the 1.4 and absolutely love it. If price weren't an option, I'd upgrade to the 50 1.2L in a heartbeat.
khillabolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:25 PM   #8

Think because i am on a tight budget I'll pick up the 1.8 and play around with it at the wedding I am going to for the week. If I don't like it I can return it when I get back.

I just can't justify the $200-250 at the moment and since I have not used the lens, I don't know if I'll continue to use it! lol so we'll see.

Thanks for the replies!
Old Oct 4, 2008, 8:46 PM   #9

See if your friend will let you borrow his 50 1.4 to try out, then you can compare the two.
tobybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:27 PM   #10

The nice thing about the 50mm F1.8 is you can probably own it a year and then sell it later and lose very little money on it.

Personally I prefer zooms. I have a sigma 10-20mm which I love. I've sold off a few lenses and am now looking for a zoom in the 17-?? range as a walkaround lens.

I also have the Canon 70-200 F/4 lens, however I wish I would have gotten the Sigma 70-200 F2.8, however I couldn't justify the cost at the time, so the Canon 70-200 F/4 is a nice lens at a nice price.

I used to own the 50mm F/1.4 prime but I hardly ever used it. Very sharp and "contrasty", but for me, walking around with a 50mm prime just didn't do it for me.

I've found that having an extremely wide lense like the Sigma 10-20 is very cool. You can walk right up to people, chat with them, and just raise your camera and get a half body shot without having to take a step back. It's very cool interactive "people journalism".
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote