Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 41

I have been looking online to find a 77mm lens protector, not a filter that blocks

out UV, but just a protector that would protect the lens from dust, chips, scratches.

lakeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:41 AM   #2
Super Moderator
peripatetic's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599

Use a lens hood or use a UV filter, digital is not generally susceptible to UV problems, but they don't really make clear glass filters, so people continue to use the UV filters for protection.

77mm is quite large, be careful that you don't put a cheap piece of rubbish in front of an expensive lens, thereby reducing the quality to a point where you may as well have bought a cheaper lens in the first place. If you are going to use a UV filter then make sure it is of a quality commensurate with the lens it is "protecting".

I don't generally use them myself. But I think we've had about 20 threads debating this, just doa search.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,105

Peripat is right. I though use a cheap filter just to protect the inner elements. I almost always remove the filter before shooting. I have the filter while i carry it around.

I have the patience to do this. So either get yourself a costly worth while protector or be patient
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.