Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:31 AM   #1

I'm have the chance to attend the National Finals Rodeo in Dec. I recently bought a cannon Xt with the kit lens, and cannon EF 75-300 f/4.0-5.6 III lens. I'm sure I will only get the chance to take pictures from the stands. Which one, or what other lens would you reccomend. I will also be using it at NHRA drag racing events. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks Scott
Scottp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2008, 6:28 AM   #2

What type of venue will the rodeo be held at? Indoor or outdoor? if outdoor, day or night?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:25 PM   #3

At the Thomas and Mack center on the campus of UNLV. Indoors from 12:30 pm on. I will be on the second floor. I will also have access to a 5-200mm ultrasonic zoom lens.
Scottp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:37 PM   #4

The stats I have for lighting in that arena are:

ISO 1250, f2.8 1/500.

You're shooting with a 5.6 lens on a camera with ISO 1600 ability. At 1600 that gives you shutter speeds about 1/160 - a bit too slow. Plus your 75-300 is going to have a lot of difficulty focusing in the low light.

You're going to be further challenged by being in the 2nd deck. I'm not familiar with that arena but I'm guessing that's quite a bit away from the action AND you're going to be looking down on the action which will make it difficult to get interesting shots. Given distance and light levels it would be difficult to recommend a lens capable of getting decent shots (ok I could recommend a 400mm 2.8 but I don't think they'll let you bring one into the stands :-)).

So my suggestion is go ahead and bring the 75-300 - you might get lucky on a couple shots. But there really isn't a lens you could rent that will get you good results - you're too far away for the 70-200 2.8 to get you a lot. If you were closer that would be the lens to rent (again assuming they would even allow it in at all).

Good luck!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:52 AM   #5

If you shoot RAW format you, and your photos come out a little dark, you can push the photo a stop or two to brighten it up - with less loss of quality in comparison to trying to push a JPEG photo (this is a crutch, but anything helps).

Ultimately you want an F2.8 lens if your going to do lot's of indoor stuff.

It sounds like your an amateur photographer, so try to get by with your EF 75-300.

Not worth buying a new lens if it's for one event only (unless, of course, it's your son or daughter in the event).
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote