Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:42 AM   #1

I am having a really hard time deciding between these two lenses for my DRebel XS. I like the 35 prime for being slightly faster than the Sigma, but I'm worried I may miss the ability to zoom a bit. Right now I only have the 18-55 kit lens, and it just doesn't cut it in low light.

I want this lense to be my primary walk-around lense, mainly for family shots indoors and out.

Cost is about the same, and both have good reviews on a few different sites.

Any opinions out there?
CobaltDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:13 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Canon 28mm f1.8 or Tamron 17-50 f2.8.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 9:17 AM   #3

I was looking at the Tamron, I know it's a great lense. Just wasn't sure I wanted to spend an additional $175.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Administrator

You may also want to consider an external flash for your indoor family shots. That way, you can bounce it for more even lighting.

You'll have limited depth of field using wider apertures indoors. So, you may find a brighter lens set to use wider apertures to be limiting for group shots. In addition, you may find that shutter speeds are too slow if there is any subject movement, even at higher ISO speed settings with an f/2.8 zoom. I'd go with a brighter prime if you can't use a flash indoors.

In the daytime, you may be able to get away with a zoom (since you typically have some ambient light coming through the windows). But, many home interiors at night have lighting that requires something brighter than an f/2.8 zoom if you want many keepers, even after bumping up your ISO speed (which will add noise).

If you don't want to use a flash, I'd probably look at the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, too. You'd have f/1.4 if you needed it, and you could use f/2 or f/2.8 when lighting permits for better sharpness and Depth of Field. Then, use this brighter prime for lower light (i.e., indoors) when you can't or don't want to use a flash, and use a zoom when you have better lighting or can use a flash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 11:02 PM   #5

CobaltDragon wrote:
Quote:
I am having a really hard time deciding between these two lenses for my DRebel XS. I like the 35 prime for being slightly faster than the Sigma, but I'm worried I may miss the ability to zoom a bit. Right now I only have the 18-55 kit lens, and it just doesn't cut it in low light.

I want this lense to be my primary walk-around lense, mainly for family shots indoors and out.

Cost is about the same, and both have good reviews on a few different sites.

Any opinions out there?
Any opinions out there? Are you kidding? The 35 F2 is like a 56mm on a full frame camera. That was the original standard normal lens. For the first six months I had and SLR camera, some years ago, I had only a 50mm F1.4. I learned sneakerzoom when zoom lenses were expensive, heavy, distorted and soft.

"My point? A "normal" prime lens is a great way to learn to be a better photographer by not spending time zooming to get the composition "just right". The F2 lens will also give you a brighter viewfinder and theoretically better autofocus. The former is obvious, but I cannot prove the latter.

Only catch is that the lens may be a bit long for indoor group photos unless your house has really big rooms. I have the 35 F2, and it is a nice general purpose prime.

Jim C suggested a flash. Good suggestion. Then you can use the 18-55 indoors at F8 and bounced flash. Hint: Go for the 580 EXII now, rather than the 430. You'll want the 580 later anyway. The 580 has more power (better for bouncing,softbox, or the Gary Fong tupperware diffuser) plus it can be either a master or a slave, where the 430 can be slave only.

BTW, the lens I use most on my 20D is the Sigma 18-200 OS.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 6:38 AM   #6

I have other equipment that I use for my more serious photography, a Sigma external flash, couple other lenses...I was just looking for something for casual use. I don't like using an external flash for everyday snapshots - too big.

I ended up getting the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 and am very happy with it.