Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:06 PM   #1

I have read that that if you use a monopod or tripod with Image stabilisation you get camera shake, due to the fact that the lens shakes to compensate for the fact that you are hand holding, which avoids camera shake if you are using the camera hand-held, but because you are using this with a monopod/tripod this is supported, therefore the effect of the shake by the lens to avoid a blurred image is now counter-productive.

Is this atheory that always works in practice
I have 28-300mm Canon ISusm
Mr Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:20 PM   #2

I would think you could turn the IS off if your using a tripod or monopod.

However, I highly doubt that IS would have a bad effect on a shot being taken on a mono or tripod.

I mean, what if the ground was lightly shaking below you? For instance your on a wood floor of a pub and the coolers down below are running?

Or if a car drives by and slightly shakes the ground?

Anyways, I'd say leave the IS on and don't sweat it.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:40 PM   #3

Mr. Shift,

The older versions of canon's IS did, in fact, have that flaw. The newer versions were designed to compensate for tripod use. Sadly I'm not familiar enough with your particular lens. I would suggest contacting Canon to find out if the version of IS in your lens is recommended to be turned off when using a tripod/monopod.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:38 AM   #4

Certainly, turning off IS while th ecamera is on a tripod doesn't do any harm, and it might help. But you should keep IS on while using a monopod.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 9:05 PM   #5

Should Image Stabilisation be trunned off when using a flash?
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:22 PM   #6

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Unlike tripods and IS, I've never heard of a negative connection between flash use and image stabilization. I can't think of a reason why the two technologies would interfere with one another.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:54 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
I've not had a problem, when I shoot a wedding and am using flash but still using ambient light for the background (read slow shutter) then the IS certainly helps. Also when using a longer lens where I would have the flash at a high enough power to freeze any motion blur I still will sometimes use it as it is nice to have a stabilised view (a reason I like in lens IS). In the 2nd scenario however the IS is not affecting the final image but does make things nicer for me.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:04 PM   #8

Good to know, as I usually forget to trun the IS off anyway.

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:29 PM   #9

This one is a really big IT DEPENDS! Which lens and what shutter speed? Canon officially says turn it off for all IS lenses. Technical support says it is OK to leave it on on the superteles 500 and 600mm. However, even that depends on the shutter speed, as IS can cause an oscillation if there is no camera shake.

Example daytime 500 plus 1.4x on a tripod in a wildlife refuge. Wind induces camera shake. IS cancels it. Same lens pointed at the moon at night with no wind. IS causes motion blur.

100-400IS at 400mm. Cam on tripod with cable release. Half press the shutter and watch the viewfinder image start moving!

Sigma says their new OS lenses automatically sense tripod use--but they still recommend turning off OS on a tripod!

Safe approach: Turn it off on a tripod. Monopod will still have enough camera shake to make IS work properly.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote