Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:49 PM   #1

I need a bigger lens but I don't have the $1300. Any other option? Or just wait till I have the money? :?Help!
all_natural25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2008, 4:57 PM   #2

What's your budget?

The sigma 50-500 is $1000 and performs well. It is heavier though.

The 400mm 5.6 is a great lens too. But assuming you're wanting a lens for aircraft photography a prime poses a challenge in that some shots will simply be too close. So a zoom can be VERY beneficial. Still once you want to dip below the $900-1000 range a prime is the only option to still get optical quality AND focus performance. That's the problem with some of the other third party lenses from Tamron or Tokina. They don't have the focus motors to compete with Sigma's HSM or Canon's USM. Which is why they're not used very much for action photography. Everything is a trade-off - especially when you're on a budget.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2008, 5:17 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
What's your budget?

The 400mm 5.6 is a great lens too. But assuming you're wanting a lens for aircraft photography a prime poses a challenge in that some shots will simply be too close. So a zoom can be VERY beneficial. Still once you want to dip below the $900-1000 range a prime is the only option to still get optical quality AND focus performance. That's the problem with some of the other third party lenses from Tamron or Tokina. They don't have the focus motors to compete with Sigma's HSM or Canon's USM. Which is why they're not used very much for action photography. Everything is a trade-off - especially when you're on a budget.
I am trying around 700ish. What about Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 AF APO DG OS HSM Telephoto Zoom Lens? I would love to go farther but not in my price range
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:53 PM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
What's your budget?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S.html#reviews

This is the one you are talking about right? I talked to a few people and I decided to wait. HopefullyI can use cash instead of credit.I was going to buy a lens tonight cause i got an itch to take pictures of the moon and 55-250mm IS wasnt cutting it. I will have the lens by March thought. he said yes and now he has to keep his word. Right now it is so cold I would only use it a handful of time before it got warm anyway

Here is my try at the moon

Attached Images

Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:26 PM   #5

naughty naughty
'mooning' us like that
:lol:
just kidding
call canon and ask them to send you a lens brochure

i got one during a camera show and its fabulous for educating yourself on the different terminology
it also shows you the internal arrangement of the lens and what glass was used

merry christmas
:bye:

deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:27 PM   #6

Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:30 PM   #7

:bye:

Old Dec 17, 2008, 6:37 PM   #8