Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:56 AM   #1

I was thinking instead of just getting a 450D with the normal lens i will go for the 1000D with and upgrade lens. My price range is about £150 and the photos i will be taking will be of people mainly. What do you guys advise that will give me the best quality pictures? Thanks !
Gurbakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The Canon kit lens is a pretty good option so might be just as well to go with that for now and then build on the system when the need arises, other option would be to add a longer lens into the mix as the kit 18-55 is not giving you much to play with .

Before making that decision though what are you wanting to shoot, what camera do you have currently etc etc?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:43 PM   #3

At the moment I have a sony dsc-p93.....and im looking to shoot wedding photos.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 2:49 PM   #4

Gurbakash wrote:
Quote:
At the moment I have a sony dsc-p93.....and im looking to shoot wedding photos.
As a guest or as the official photographer?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2008, 3:31 PM   #5

Well as a guest but need to take top notch quality photos
Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:04 PM   #6

Gurbakash wrote:
Quote:
Well as a guest but need to take top notch quality photos
Ok, as a guest just starting out I would suggest you concentrate on photos at the reception. To do all the types of wedding photos you would ideally need several lenses - a wide angle for group shots, a wide aperture lens for ceremony shots (where flash is usually frowned upon if not outright prohibited) - and especially with entry level DSLRs that would usually mean prime lenses. All, in all, a good amount of kit. But Mark can speak to that better than me.

I suggest concentrating on the reception for a couple reasons - one, it simplifies your kit and 2 the pro will get all the wedding and posed shots and do it better than you could but it's impossible for him/her to get all the shots at the reception. That's where guests can really add value to the couple.

For the reception, the most important thing to have is a good external flash. If you really want to improve the shots I would suggest a flash bracket. Brackets are most handy in reception halls with high ceilings where bouncing a flash isn't very easy. In smaller halls you can bounce the flash off the ceiling, eliminating the need for a bracket. So, a flash like the 430ex would be my first recommendation. Second recommendation is a wide aperture lens for portrait shots - something like the 85mm 1.8. Third option is a quality lens with a bit more reach - something like the 70-200 f4. The 70-200 2.8 is ideal but expensive and you could get the flash, 85mm and 70-200 f4 for about the same cost as the 70-200 2.8 alone. I think that would be a better spend of your cash.

But if your total budget is 150 pounds I'm guessing the flash will eat up the whole thing.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote