Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 6, 2009, 2:48 PM   #1

I teach yearbook - we currently use a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM for most activities grades K-12 - including sports. We fare pretty well with football, baseball/softball, etc. - but we are completely out of luck come dusk with track pictures, and could really use a little help with basketball (gyms are just so dark). I have 2 rebel XTs for the kids, and I have a 40D that I bring from home when I shoot events. From what I have managed to find from reading - the Canon 85mm 1.8 is good for lower-light sports (like basketball?) and portraits (another area I'd like to improve on, but the 70-200 works OK so far outdoors). I have a pretty healthy budget, and have never been told "no" by my admin as long as I stay in budget. Would that be a good choice for me, or can anyone recommend better options?
hessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2009, 3:56 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's!!

Just for the outdoor shooting where f2.8 is not fast enough are you pushing the 40D to ISO 3200, that should allow you to get pretty good shutter speeds under reasonable lights?

As for indoors depending how far away you want to shoot from then there 3 choices (well budget dependent), 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2, 135mm f2. For the maximum usable shooting distances take a look at this thread Lens working distances .

I personally have an 85mm f1.8 which I use if shooting volleyball from behind the umpire apart from that the 70-200mm f2.8 comes out assuming there is enough light.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:04 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I think I'm going crazy, why did I think we were talking volleyball?

Under the hoop a 50mm does a good job, from the side/corner then an 85mm.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote