Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 24, 2009, 1:07 AM   #1

Hi All,

I need help/advice on which lenses to buy for my Canon 5 D. I have upgraded from a EOS SLR rebel 2000 to EOS Canon 5D.

I had bought two lense for my SLR camera

1.EF 75- 300 mm f/4-5.6 III

2.EF 28- 80mm f/3.5-5.6 II

Would these work well with5 D or do you suggest I change for new lenses; if so, pl suggest which should be good for a kit lenses. I am interested in all kinds of photography like wild life, street, flowers, landscapes, etc.

Thanks for your help in advance

PD

photosbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2009, 4:14 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi and welcome to Steve's.

Both of the lenses will work fine with the 5D but neither are overly strong. However, if you are happy with the quality they have provided with film then you can expect similar results with the 5D.

However, if you want to make use of the 5Ds great abilities then you will find putting better glass on there.

Depending on budget look at the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, the Canon L equivalent, or the 24-105mm f4 L (this is the lensI use on my 5D most of the time).

That will pretty much cover everything apart from wildlife where you want to go long, and with full frame you want as long as possible. Obviously this isn't cheap. Things to consider Canon 100-400, Sigma 50-500, Sigma 150-500. I've not used the latter so I would find out what others are using for wildlife. For my bird shooting (when I get a chance), I use a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 with a 2x TC to give 600mm f5.6 however for better AF and more reach I use this with my 1D mkIII.

Lastly you could go wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide with something like the Sigma 12-24mm.

My advice, use what you have, see where you are wishing for something extra be that better quality, more reach, wider angle, brighter (wider aperture) and then fill the gap.

Let us know how you get on and post a few photos as well we would all love to see them.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2009, 3:02 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I think you will be very disappointed in the lenses you currently have on the 5D. If I were using those lenses on a 5D I would set them at f8 and leave them there - regard them as fixed aperture.

IMO you should seriously consider upgrading both of them at least to the next step on the ladder:

28-80 => 24-105 L
75-300 => 70-300 IS.

Check out the reviews on http://slrgear.com and http://photozone.de

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2009, 11:24 AM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for yours and Markssuggestions I will do some more research on the lines you & Mark have suggested. In the meantime as luck would have it 5D miror came of in two pieces, while I was shooting a swimming competition. I heard this is a common problem.

I will hold on for some time to buy the lense, till this issue is sorted.

thanks,
Old Jan 25, 2009, 3:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator

photosbug wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for yours and Markssuggestions I will do some more research on the lines you & Mark have suggested. In the meantime as luck would have it 5D miror came of in two pieces, while I was shooting a swimming competition. I heard this is a common problem.

I will hold on for some time to buy the lense, till this issue is sorted.

thanks,
That's not helpful. I've not read about this problem and fortunately I've not come across it as the 5D is my prime wedding camera.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:14 AM   #6

Hi ,

Canon accepted that it was aknown stickingproblem and theyreplaced it5D mirror at their service centrefree of charge in 10 days time. The service extended by the staff was excellent; the staff was very polite and courteous. I understand that it would costUSD 320 to replace.

Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:47 PM   #7
NHL

There's nothing wrong with choosing a Canon lens, but I would seriously take a look at the budget Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 that Mark1616 has suggested previously.

This lens major detractor before was its lack of ultrasonic AF, but Sigma has now remedied the situation by the addition HSM to their latest release - If anyone did check the previous reviews, the Sigma is sharper than either the 24-70 f/2.8L or the 24-105 f/4L at most if not all focal lenghts. In fact the Sigma also vignettes less and have better CA control than either of the Canon's as well:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/31...review?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/18...review?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/18...review?start=1
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:36 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Wow, I hadn't spotted that Sigma had made that upg..... however the price is pretty heavy considering what can be achieved with the Sigma 24-70 non HSM. I really need to use this lens in anger, it just sits in my bag in case the Canon 24-105 throws a wobbly at a shoot.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:35 PM   #9
NHL

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Wow, I hadn't spotted that Sigma had made that upg... however the price is pretty heavy considering what can be achieved with the Sigma 24-70 non HSM...
Very true; However, if you check the new HSM's MTF (now with more elements) it's better than the non-HSM promising an even sharper lens still, especially in the center. Even with its higher price, the new Sigma's still costs a few hundred $ less than the L (but with 3X the warranty)

-> Unless Canon comes out with an upgrade soon there's a weakness in Canon's line-up at this time for FF WA zoom considering how excellent the Nikkors in this focal lenght are...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:08 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I agree it looks to give quite a bit better quality but for 2 and a bit times more money it will be only for the Pro user as Joe Public will get great results from the non HSM.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"However for someone pricing against the Canon then they have to choose quality over IS and badge snobbery, which counts for a lot with some (uneducated) shooters.