Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:29 AM   #1

Can anybody help me here. I have a Canon 10D and have been looking at s Sigma 170 - 500mm F5 - 6.3 APO Aspherical AFlens. (for wildlife photography). A fellow photographer has been using the lens with a Canon 5D- but I am a bit confused by the lens specifications. On the outside of the box it says 'for Canon AF'. I will 'try before I buy' - and assume the lens will be compatible. Thanks in anticipation
gilliverr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:18 AM   #2
Administrator

AF stands for Autofocus. Your EOS-10D uses a Canon EF lens mount (which is Canon's Autofocus lens mount). If it says Canon AF on it, then it should be an EF Mount lens. If it works on an EOS-5D, then it should work on your EOS-10D (and I'd test it on your body to make sure it works OK).

Now, Canon did come up with a newer EF-S mount to allow the design of lenses with smaller image circles for APS-C size sensors. For example, most of the kit lenses used by Canon's entry level models (like the 18-55mm offerings) are EF-S mount.

Because this mount was not introduced until after the 10D was designed, these newer Canon EF-S lenses will not work on your EOS-10D. You'd need to stick with EF mount lenses in the Canon lineup. But, most third party lenses designed for models with an APS-C size sensor will work on your 10D (for example, Sigma's DC series lenses).

The Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 Autofocus lens for Canon models should work on any Canon EOS series camera (including a model with an APS-C size sensor like your EOS-10D.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 9:33 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

I moved this thread to our Canon Lenses Forum, which was setup for discussion about lenses for Canon dSLR models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote