Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:00 AM   #1

Hey all.

Lately I have been spending a lot of time looking into lenses that I want to get for my rebel xsi.

I already have both kit lenses (18055 & 55-250). The 250 I want to keep, but the 18-55 I wouldn't mind selling and using towards a new and better lens.

I have been looking into a lens that is good to 2.8f at least, but here is where I'm having trouble deciding between fixed length like the Canon 28 1.8, or a wide zoom like the EF-S 10-22 or Tamron 17-50, OR Tokina 11-18?

Now with the lens I would want to use it for a) landscape b) architecture, and c) indoor and events, which is C becuase it is the least important.

What I'm wondering is, what lens would suit me best and what should I start saving up for! The tamron is the cheapest of the lot that I have looked over, but I am having trouble setting on one lens alone.

Anyone here who has used some of the lenses I have mentioned??
ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:37 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I would start by looking at where you are really finding gaps in your photograph and looking at what focal lengths you are taking a lot of shots.

If you were to sell the 18-55 and you are regularly using 30+mm thenthere is only one option which is the 17-50 f2.8.

If you are spending a lot of time at 17mm and wishing you had something wider then the Tokina is the only option (assuming you want f2.8 or wider as you say), the Canon 10-22mm is only f3.5 at 10mm and down to f4.5 at 22mm.

Again depending on your shooting I think you will find the 28mm too long for landscape or architecture however for a normal lens this an be quite useful giving approx 50mm in 35mm equivalent.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:10 PM   #3

Thank your for insight Mark.

I was thinking over it more today and I have come to this conclusion.

The 55-250 that I have will be sufficient should I need a longer lens with some reach, so I feel like the Tamron 17-50 would be a good choice, particularily since it has respectable performance in lower light scenarios at 2.8.. the only thing I worry about in this case is the lack of any IS.. I find that in these types of conditions IS pays for itself big time. I'm wondering if this would cause me issues if and when I need to get some shots indoors @ 2.8

Aside from that however, most reviews praise this lens for its optical quality and that's definitely what I'm concerned with the most. So long as it is a good replacement for the 18-55 I will be happy.. and the price is pretty decent as well.

I figure if I grab this lens and then invest later on in a 24 or 28mm 1.4/8 I will have a good indoor lens and then can use the Tamron for everything else.

The more I think about it the more it seems not worth it to put money into an ultra wide when I'm using a 1.6x slr.. I may as well invest in those in the future when I may have a full frame.
ScoobyDooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2009, 6:18 PM   #4
Super Moderator

The IS question is always a huge one with no clear answer. It will help shoot fixed subjects in low light situations but won't help stop movement.

Out of my 7 lenses 2 are IS, however they are the most used ones although not always with IS on. The advantage of having IS is I you can turn it off, if you have a lens without IS you have no choice. However the f2.8 throughout the range on the Tamron is giving you 2 stops extra than with the kit lens at the long end which can help hugely and also you have more creative control with this lens so it is a good option.

Another thing is we survived for many years when shooting film with mostly using medium ISO levels and no IS so with good technique you are fine now.

If you are thinking of a wide angle in the future consider the Sigma 12-24 asyou can use it with both sensor options.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:29 AM   #5

I have the Tamron 17-50 and love it.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote