Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 7, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1

Hi,

I consider to purchase the Canon EOS 50D and do know from different forums on the
Internet that socalled "High-end-lenses" are required to get the most out of the ca-
mera.

Do you think that the Canon EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 USM would be good enough to reach
that goal?

Thanks in advance for telling me your opinion.

Kind regards,
xer2004

xer2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2

It depends entirely on what you plan on shooting. That's a very good ultra-wide lens there. But it's only a good choice if ultrawide is what you're after. There are plenty of good lenses in all focal ranges but the key is to have the type of lens that fits the subject matter you'll be shooting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:35 PM   #3

Hello JohnG,

First of all, thanks for your reply to my post.

I'm mainly interested in landscape photography but I also want to shoot people like
family members, colleagues, or children to name but a few.

In the past couple of months I read numerous lens reviews and did notice that the
Canon EF-S 10-22mm/3.5-4.5 USM got outstanding ratings by many, many photo-
graphers around the globe.

So I guess that with the lens in question I would certainly NOT be disappointed and would be able to get the most out of Canon's EOS 50D.

Am I right?

Best wishes,
xer2004

Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:25 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I don't really think that the range of that lens is ideal for what you are looking to do as it is too wide. Yes it is a good landscape lens when you want wide (landscape is not always about being really wide) but for people work then it is not good at all.

I would personally go for the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. This gives you wide enough for landscape but also you have 50mm which is a usable length for people work.

Also you will save a lot of money which can go towards a flash which would also help when shooting people. Something along the lines of the Canon 430 will make a huge difference to the quality of shots, it is underestimated how much better a portrait shot can be when using flash.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 4:42 PM   #5
NHL

xer2004 wrote:
Quote:
In the past couple of months I read numerous lens reviews and did notice that the
Canon EF-S 10-22mm/3.5-4.5 USM got outstanding ratings by many, many photo-
graphers around the globe.
It depends where you're reading...

-> I got the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8: It's a bit faster @ a constant f/2.8 throughout the zoom range and by all account super sharp surpassing many Nikon ultrawides (and aways out of stock at most places: B&H, Adorama, etc...). This lens is practically a prime because of its narrow zoom range, but according to the measured data this lens also beats the Canon hands down:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/37..._canon?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/17...review?start=1

Check the border (and extreme border) MTF periphery results for sharpness, especially for landscapes, and also notice how the brighter Tokina even vignette less at f/2.8 than comparable Canon's @ f/3.5 (or f/4.5)? Its CA is sligtly worst but easily correctable in Photoshop considering the Tokina costs a few hundred $ less... (which will then pay for the flash like Mark1616 suggested)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 9:21 AM   #6

Hi Mark & NHL,

First of all, I do apologize that I didn't answer your replies earlier but I was very busy with other things during the last couple of days.

I want to thank you not only for your remarks regarding Canon's 10-22mm/3.5-4.5
lens but also for your reference to other wide angle lenses (Tamron's 17-50mm/2.8 as well as Tokina's 11-16mm/2.8).

In the meantime I found a website (http://www.pixel-peeper.com)which among many others also shows images taken with the combo Canon 40D/Canon 10-22mm/3.5-4.5 as well as Canon 20D/Canon 10-22mm/3.5-4.5.

Since these pictures clearly prove (at least in my personal opinion) that IT IS possible to use the Canon 10-22mm/3.5-4.5 lens for socalled people work, I decided to go for the Canon lens.
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/LAMMER%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/img][img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/LAMMER%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/img]
Once again, thank you so much for trying to help me and take care!!!

Kind regards,
xer2004

Old Feb 13, 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
Super Moderator

You are right any lens will do people work but in a different way to a more standard lens. You will be working at wide angles and wide depth of field so everything pretty much will always be in focus and also you might find distortions (sometimes these are great fun to play with).

If you were using something like the 17-50 f2.8 then you are able to get more creative results where you reduce the depth of field so a background is out of focus as shown below.

So both types of lens have their strong points but for me I would start with the more standard.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with everything.

Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 3:20 AM   #8

Hi Mark,

I totally agree to the arguments you made in your last reply and thank you for sharing a nice image with me.

Good luck to you and take care!!!

Kind regards,
xer2004