Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:11 PM   #11

thanks for the info. since i posted and before i read your reply, i pretty much decided the sigma was my best choice. i don't understand the business about the EF-S lenses not being compatible with the other canon's, but the sigma will. can you direct me where i can educate myself about that stuff?

also, on the UWA recommendation fromalgold, i think i will choose the tokina 11mm-16mm. will this fit othercanondslr like the sigma?

thanks for yourhelp.

joe
jcc146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:44 PM   #12

Joe,

Most digital SLRs have a sensor smaller than 35mm film. So the image circle produced from a full size lens is larger than the sensor itself. This is where the term crop-factor comes from. Well, manufacturers started taking advantage of that and made lenses that produce a smaller image circle. It costs less to manufacture and is lighter and smaller. EF-S lenses are made to produce an image circle for aps-c sensors. So, on an aps-h or full frame camera there would be vignetting if the lens will even mount.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:00 PM   #13

well, aftera little more research, i think i will settle with the tokina 12-24 as it is more versatile with other cameras. any thoughts on that lens?
jcc146 is offline   Reply With Quote