Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1

I am still tossed up on what lens to purchase for a 40D. I am tossed over the Tamron, Sigma, or others that you guys may suggest. The Canon I can affordbut, I am an amature at best and looking for a good lens to learn with. The primary use will be for outdoor motocross, family vacations/events ect.. I will be shooting some indoor also but, the primarly outdoors. Thanks in advance.
madday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2009, 7:40 PM   #2

First off, have you used a 70-200 2.8 in the store? The reason I ask is they are not a small lens. Something to keep in mind on the family vacation front.

The Tamron is sharp but slow to focus so not a great option for motocross. From a lens standpoint there's really no such thing as a 'beginner' lens when you're talking about 2.8 lenses. The canon version is no easier or more difficult to learn how to use than the Tamron. The Sigma is a fine alternative for sports work to the Canon if you do want to save some money. But I would advise against the Tamron since you want to shoot some sports with the lens.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2009, 8:46 PM   #3

Thanks John. What would suggest for a walking around lens
madday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2009, 6:42 PM   #4

What would be helpful would be your maximum budget for a walkaround lens. Remember, the more expensive (in general) the sharper the lens.

Nonetheless, an excellent, tack-sharpwalk-around lens is the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 LIS ... but you're looking atUS$1K, a grand lens for a grand, and not as heavy or as long as the 20-200 you mentioned in your post. About as close to an ideal, well rounded true walkaround lens there is, all things considered.

The 70-200 is an outstanding zoom, IMHO, and one I use regularly, but I would not really call it a general "walk-around" lens in the f2/8 variant unless you have gorilla arms on ya! In fact, I use a Lowepro Toploader to protect it when mounted on the camera and being carried in the car.

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:58 AM   #5

I have the 70-200mm and its on my camera 98% of the time I have it out my other favorite lens is the 85mm f1.8 prime. I use it for motocycle races and I use it for a walk around urban lens. It does everything thing I need it to do.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:20 PM   #6

Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
I have the 70-200mm and its on my camera 98% of the time I have it out my other favorite lens is the 85mm f1.8 prime. I use it for motocycle races and I use it for a walk around urban lens. It does everything thing I need it to do.
Which version of the 70-200 do you have?
smithkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:43 PM   #7

smithkt wrote:
Quote:
Cyberf828 wrote:
Quote:
Which version of the 70-200 do you have?
I have the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS. Its very rarely ever off my camera.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:17 PM   #8

I'm with Henry.

I have a 70-200 2.8 (non IS version). Fantastic lens but IMO a very poor walk-around lens for "family and vacation" type shots. The focal length isn't wide enough and it's a cumbersome lens. The 24-105 is my walkaround lens but I also shoot with a mkIII so the 1.3 crop vs. 1.6. 24 may or may not be wide enough for general purpose photography on a 1.6.. It really depends on YOUR style.

Which is exactly why I usually recommend people get the kit lens. The newer version is a very good lens for a kit lens. It's wide angle and usually adds around $100 to the camera cost. It allows you to learn photography and learn the limitations of the aperture and focal range with a very small initial investment. Then when you're ready for pro grade lenses you're making an educated decision on the right aperture and focal length FOR YOU.

Everyone is different. But for me, shooting family functions and vacations I would never want 70mm to be the widest focal length on an asp-C sensor camera. Too many missed shots. Try taking photos in your living room with that lens - unless portraits are the only thing you shoot you'll find it way too limiting.

My advice would be to get the kit lens first before spending $1000 on a walk-around that may not be the right focal length for your style. It's OK to buy the 70-200 for the motocross (although 200mm may be a bit short on occasion).
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:19 PM   #9

forgot to add, I use the 17-40 for my wide angle.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:47 AM   #10

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
forgot to add, I use the 17-40 for my wide angle.
I also have this lens its very nice. So far for me using the 70-200mm as a walk around lens hasn't been a issue yet thank goodness.