Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:31 AM   #1

Hi folks, I've got a new 17-55 2.8 and the zoom mechanism is a bit wonky to me. Out of the box it was really stiff but I gave it a few days to work itself out - its done that and loosened up so the travel's quite a lot smoother, but its still slightly stiff in the middle and slightly loose at either end.

I noticed today that when I go from 17 to 20 by the markings on the lens, it actually only goes up to 18 when I'm looking in Lightroom; by the 25mm mark though, the EXIF says 25 as expected.

Shooting wise this doesn't really affect me... I'm looking through the viewfinder and I'm going until I get the field of view I want, but I'm concerned that this might be a hint of something more serious.

I've got 2 more days to return and exchange (in all other respects the lens has been stellar) so I'm hoping your input will clarify what I should do.

Thanks in advance!

velocitycurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:51 AM   #2
NHL

velocitycurve wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks, I've got a new 17-55 2.8 and the zoom mechanism is a bit wonky to me. Out of the box it was really stiff but I gave it a few days to work itself out - its done that and loosened up so the travel's quite a lot smoother, but its still slightly stiff in the middle and slightly loose at either end.
I don't have a 17-55, but I would expect it's normal for most dual-cams zoom design as when you hit certain part of the lens travel both moving elements of the lens has to be displaced at the same time offering more resistance as when only one of the element moves - You can look at the lens (off the camera) when you zoom an see if the front, rear of both move at the same time and determine when the extra stiffness kick in...

Quote:
I noticed today that when I go from 17 to 20 by the markings on the lens, it actually only goes up to 18 when I'm looking in Lightroom; by the 25mm mark though, the EXIF says 25 as expected.
This has to do with the encoder on the lens... Did you really zoom all the way to 17mm if so that's really the info transmitted from the lens. You may need to send it back :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:23 AM   #3

I should clarify my post - when I start at 17mm, EXIF matches. All good there!

I go up to 20mmvia the lens markings, and I can a) feel that its a bit loose and b) see through the viewfinder that I'm probably not at 20. EXIF at that point says 18mm, which confirms my hunch. Sucky

As I go up to 28mm, I feel the cam or mechanism kick in, stiffen up and get a grip - EXIF of shots taken at the 28mm marksays its 28. All good again!

Practical effect on shooting? Well, I don't shoot by looking at the zoom markings on the lens - so none. My main concern is that it isn't a sign of something more serious and I should exchange it for another copy.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 4:18 PM   #4

I described the problem to the store and they asked immediately that I bring it back to exchange. Wish me luck with my second copy!
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:59 AM   #5

I do!!!

Kind regards,
xer2004
xer2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2009, 10:56 AM   #6

Just an update on where that went - I went in and got a second copy of the lens, and its zoom action was far smoother; its the feel that I expected, not the jammed tightness that was in my first copy (altho it loosened up very quickly)

Most importantly the EXIF information now matches.