Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 19, 2009, 5:59 PM   #1

Default Filters?

Does it matter which brand you buy? If I pick one up at best buys will it be fine? I think in the past I bought Hoyt, I forgot to order one when I ordered the camera.
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2009, 6:31 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Hoya have some good filters in their range and also some average ones. What do you want the filter for?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 2:50 AM   #3

Q: 1) Does it matter which brand you buy?

2) If I pick one up at best buys will it be fine?

A: 1) Sort of...

Not all brands are created equal, but there are often different quality grades even within a single brand. Generally, if you stick with one of the major brands like Hoya, Nikon, B+W, higher-grade Tiffen, etc., you run a better chance of getting something good than from XYZ brand. That being said, many times a major manufacturer will produce stuff under a different name, so that XYZ branded filter may have been made by Hoya!

Unless you want a premium quality filter and are preparred to pay for it, it might be better to shop by features rather than brand. In general, here are some things to look for in a decent quality filter:

*Optical quality glass. Some cheapos use white glass (window grade) or even plastic (polycarbonate).

*Coatings. A coated (or, preferrably, multicoated) filter has better light transmission with less ghosting and light flare. Usually, the more coatings the better, but prices can escalate quickly. Some include coatings that improve scratch resistance also.

You can look for other things too, like a brass frame (reduces binding) and "low profile" (helps reduce the instance of vignetting on wider-angle lenses). But here, you're starting to talk money.

2) ???? Depends what Best Buy is selling in your burg. If the filter package doesn't tell you anything useful about the filter construction, write down the brand and model # if available and look it up online before you buy. You probably don't want to put a crappy filter in front of your non-crappy lens and then wonder why your shots aren't sharp and have lousy contrast. The best camera in the world is only as good as the light being fed to the sensor through the lens (and filter)!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 5:20 PM   #4
Administrator

Here is a recent thread with links to a review of UV/Protective type filters:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...lter-test.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 9:01 PM   #5

Thanks for the link. When I reorderd the camera from B&H I just order the filter they offered. It is a tiffen. The paper work just said genral UV filter.
Might send it back.
I mainly bought a filter for protection of the lens since I seem to always want to clean it with my shirt....plus I will be shooting outside at a pool most of the summer. I might have to make another purchase....
spinning is offline   Reply With Quote