Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 24, 2009, 4:35 PM   #1

Default Canon EF vs. EF-S Lenses

I am thinking about buying the Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM lens for my Canon EOS Rebel XSi, instead of the more expensive EF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS lens. Is there any serious disadvantage in using the slightly older EF lens, rather than the more modern EF-S versions with my camera model?
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2009, 7:48 PM   #2
Super Moderator

The 28-200 is not a well respected lens and the 18-200 is a bit new for me to have seen much about.

The difference in EF and EF-S is that an EF-S lens can only be used on a crop (xxxD, xxD) camera where as the EF can be used on full frame such as the 5D/1D cameras.

Also 28mm, on an XSi is not wide at all it is about the same as 45mm on a 35mm camera.

Any lens with such a zoom range is going to have limitations so although convenient in that you don't need as many lenses you lose out on quality.

What sort of shooting are you wanting to do as you might be able to better use the money with something else?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 12:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
What sort of shooting are you wanting to do as you might be able to better use the money with something else?
Outdoor action shots, maybe the scene of a fire or other journalistic entry. Likewise, landscapes, trains, etc.

So if I wanted to upgrade to a full frame camera like 5D and 1D, I would be wise to buy the regular EF lens. I take it that an EF lens will work just fine on my Rebel XSi, but the only thing missing would be the stabilization features, with no degradation in image quality for outdoor shooting?

Thanks,

Ron

Last edited by Thunderbolt; May 25, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 3:53 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
Outdoor action shots, maybe the scene of a fire or other journalistic entry. Likewise, landscapes, trains, etc.
Do you mean for a hobby or paid work? As mentioned in the previous post the 28-200 is really not very wide which would make it a poor choice for landscapes, group shots, anything really that needs a wide angle.

Quote:
So if I wanted to upgrade to a full frame camera like 5D and 1D, I would be wise to buy the regular EF lens. I take it that an EF lens will work just fine on my Rebel XSi, but the only thing missing would be the stabilization features, with no degradation in image quality for outdoor shooting?

Thanks,

Ron
Yes if you were going to move to FF then it would mean that you could no longer use your EF-S lenses, however don't let that make you get an inferior EF lens over stronger EF-S. As I say the 28-200 doesn't get great reviews and I've not seen much on the quality of the 18-200 so hopefully someone will chip in who has.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 5:28 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks,

Ron
Erm, maybe. It depends what you want to do. You will find both lenses to be quite slow for PJ work. Slow to focus and also "slow" in terms of their maximum apertures. However resolution requirements for PJ are usually very modest.

You will NOT like the 28-200 on a FF camera. Might as well put a coke bottle in front of it. Get the best lens for the camera you have, and if you really want a 10x zoom then get one of the 18-200s.

28mm is not nearly wide enough on a crop camera.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote