Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 12, 2009, 5:48 PM   #1

Default Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD vs Canon 50mm f/1.8

Just so everyone knows I'm basing my question off of this review:

http://photo.net/equipment/tamron/28_75_Di/

Basically the Canon 50mm prime seems to be bested or equaled by the Tamron on all of the equivalent tests so I already like the Tamron. I also know the 50mm is great for the price.

What I'm wondering is if it would be worth is to have both of these lenses, or just stick with the Tamron. The big advantage I see with the Canon is that it is a faster lens, and I would like to know if that alone justifies owning both of them. This is a budget decision mostly because in the end I would like both, but if the f/1.8 isn't much more of an advantage over the f/2.8, then I'll just go straight for the Tamron.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by elnino2783; Jun 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM.
elnino2783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2009, 8:10 PM   #2

They're two entirely different lenses. What type of work are you wanting to use the lens for?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:32 AM   #3

My most immediate use will be on my honeymoon in Hawaii in August. Future use will be for anything really. I still haven't read any other reviews, but just going off the samples from the above review I mentioned, the Tamron seems to be better or the same in all respects aside from the f/1.8 aperture. That was really the one comparison they couldn't make and never tried to in the review because the Tamron is only f/2.8
Old Jun 14, 2009, 11:57 AM   #4

Well I do like this guy's review. He doesn't seem to be a pro, but did appreciate the versatility of the lens over the 50mm. Obviously he appreciated the 50mm too, but ended up using the Tamron more often.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1GFKM3...cm_cr_rdp_perm
Old Jun 14, 2009, 5:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

As mentioned you are looking at 2 very different lenses and it's probably the first time I've seen someone trying to decide between such options.

The Tamron is a zoom lens so you have the ability to shoot with a variety of different focal lengths, the Canon is fixed at 50mm. The Canon is a great, pretty sharp lens ideal for portraits and certain other shooting situations but it's not wide enough in a lot of cases. With the Tamron you can still shoot at 50mm but just not with such a wide aperture, so you can't get as high a shutter speed in lower light conditions or at 50mm you can't blur the background as much but at 75mm and f2.8 you can still get lovely portraits with a blurred background. I've never played with the Tamron so can't give first hand experience but the reviews don't look bad.

Which body are you using btw?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
As mentioned you are looking at 2 very different lenses and it's probably the first time I've seen someone trying to decide between such options.

The Tamron is a zoom lens so you have the ability to shoot with a variety of different focal lengths, the Canon is fixed at 50mm. The Canon is a great, pretty sharp lens ideal for portraits and certain other shooting situations but it's not wide enough in a lot of cases. With the Tamron you can still shoot at 50mm but just not with such a wide aperture, so you can't get as high a shutter speed in lower light conditions or at 50mm you can't blur the background as much but at 75mm and f2.8 you can still get lovely portraits with a blurred background. I've never played with the Tamron so can't give first hand experience but the reviews don't look bad.

Which body are you using btw?

Yeah I suppose I'm not really doing a direct comparison between lenses, but more a cost comparison of owning one of the lenses or both. As for the camera I have it is a Rebel XT, so I am aware it's not actually 50mm that I'm comparing each of these lenses to, but that's fine, and I saw that the Tamron is supposed to be sharper with crop sensors.

But as for the comparison, I was wondering if the added versatility of the f/1.8 would be enough to spend the extra $80-$100 when the tamron has the same capabilities at 50mm (obvioulsy only at f/2.8), as well as the zoom versatility.

On a side note though, I found a really good deal on the Tamron lens used at $250 with 3 close up lenses (approx. $80 new) and bought it. I've been seeing it new for $360-400, and used about $300 at the lowest. So if I do pick up the canon it will probably be mostly for specialty shooting and because I saved so much money on the Tamron.

Last edited by elnino2783; Jun 15, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I have a collection of lenses and the 50 is one of them but it only really comes out when I'm in a really low light wedding situation and not able to use flash apart from that it stays in the bag. Different people with different shooting styles will potentially use it more than me so don't rule it out.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Super Moderator

I forgot to add that with a APS-C sensor then 28mm is not all that wide so for honeymoon landscape shots you might find it too tight.I like to have something equivalent to 24mm so 15 or 16mm. Just a thought.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I have a collection of lenses and the 50 is one of them but it only really comes out when I'm in a really low light wedding situation and not able to use flash apart from that it stays in the bag. Different people with different shooting styles will potentially use it more than me so don't rule it out.
Since this is a "once in a life-time" event, I'd lean towards getting the Tamron for the honey moon trip. However, like Mark said, 28 mm on an APS sized sensor isn't very wide, almost like 50 mm on a full frame 35 mm sensor/film camera. I have a Sigma lens with the same zoom range and the main problem I have with it is that the wide end isn't very wide. I would have gotten the 24 - 70 mm version of this lens if I had it to do over again just to get a bit more wide angle. I also have the 50 mm 1.8 mm and it seldom get any use unless I want to get a none flash photo in low light situations.
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:26 AM   #10

You might be better of with the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8. It is a very good Lens, about $400. As others have said with an APC sensor one needs a lens such as this to go wide as it acts more like 28 to 80mm on a full frame camera. Moderate wide to Moderate zoom. You will have Portrait issues if you do not get something that starts @ 17mm.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote