Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 4, 2003, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Sigma 135-400 EOS lens

I am thinking of perhaps buying the Sigma 135- 400 EOS lens for my new 10D for wildlife photography. Has anyone any views on my purchase. I would really like the Canon EOS 100-400L lens but it is out of my price range. :?
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2003, 3:21 PM   #2

A quick look at my favorite lens review sites show that optically the 135-400 is good. The 100-400L is much better, but it's still good (and a bit better than the 50-500 which is generally though of very highly.) The biggest mark against it is the very slow AF speed.

People also listed that it Vignetts at the long end (but on the 10D that shouldn't be a problem) and it has some small distortion problems as well.

The only other bad thing was that the manual focus ring is small and not very good.

I have the 100-400 and love it, but it was expensive.

Remember that its a heavy lens. If you're not sure you can carry/hand hold it would check it out in person first.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 4:22 PM   #3

Many thanks Eric. It will be mainly used on a tripod, so weight should not be a problem. thanks again.
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2003, 4:27 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
The biggest mark against it is the very slow AF speed.
This lens does not have ultrasonic which accounts for the slower AF... a small trade off for its economical price. The Sigma 50-500mm is HSM (ie ultrasonic) hence faster & quieter, but then it costs twice as much. The 100-400L is even more... with both IS and USM.

ie a lens for every budget! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote