Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:24 AM   #1

Default Big Lense Little Money

Howdy,

I looking at getting a bigger lense to shoot sport. At current Im using a Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 Lense on my Canon 20D and I just cant get the distance I need with the sports Im being asked to shoot.

Sadly I dont have the greatest amount of money so Im looking at the cheaper but still good quality options. So far I have found the following which is currently tickling my fancy...

Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG APO HSM - http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...sp?navigator=3

If anyone has any ideas for good cheap lenses please let me know...

Matt
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:04 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hi Matt, I've just moved this to the Canon lens section rather than point and shoot add on lenses (you might get some more replies ). What sports are you being asked to shoot, for what purpose and in what lighting conditions?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 3:18 AM   #3

Ive been asked to shoot Cricket (always bright or cloudy), AFL (dusk or stadium lights), Soccer (DOSL) and Rubgy (DOSL) on the big ovals along with Hockey (local comp - middle of the day till dusk)(tour comp - DOSL), Softball (ABOC), Baseball (ABOC), Motorsports and Tennis (ABOC). My 300 works for most with some nice shots ATM but I just feel as if I need something bigger so I can get closer to the action. The 300 seems to lose strength right where I need it.

I know speed is a major factor in a lense for sport but from what Ive seen unless Ive got 5000+ to spend I might as well forget about it. I thought by maybe having a lense like the one mentioned above it would be suitable for what I needed distance wise which would cover the soft/lack of detail in the photo I am currently getting.

The purpose behind the photos is mainly for both getting my name out there and the magazine. The magazine is only new and is done by a friend of mine along with 10 others including 2 or 3 pro photographers all giving shots for free all of us with legal agreements. We focus on local sports competition and get everyones name out there for the future.
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:37 PM   #4

why not try a 1.4 or bigger teleconvertor or something to increase the "mm" factor
deterpawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2009, 10:55 PM   #5

A 1.4 TC on the 70-300 won't work very well. If it reports aperture then the OP will lose AF. Even if pins are taped, IQ won't be the greatest and AF will be very poor. Also, that would mean shooting at f8 which will have terrible backgrounds and very slow shutter speeds. Sadly, there aren't a lot of options. The Bigma is really the only way to get that kind of reach, still have decent IQ and decent focus response.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:34 PM   #6

The Sigma 50-500mm lens is a great bargain. IQ is extraordinary for a 10:1 zoom. Only drawbacks: No Image Stabilization, although with moving sports that is less a worry. Also Sigma's unpredictable quality control makes every Sigma purchase a gamble. My first one had some bizarre defect that made the bokeh look like it was a mirror lens. The second one, though, was nearly perfect. It even works pretty well with the Tamron (standard, not Pro) 1.4x extender, retaining AF if the light is good enough.

Another option for outdoor sports might be the Canon 100-400. Not as long as the Bigma but it has IS. It is awful with any extender, though. I hardly ever take the Bigma with me, and I hardly ever leave the 100-400 at home. But then I don't shoot sports.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:08 PM   #7

Thanks for all your comments.

My biggest problem really is I see both sides of the arguement right now.

I really need the length for cricket (50-60 metres) and really need speed for hockey and football but still with a decent length (f2.8 with 30m approx). Its hard to decide and especially with the lack of QC on Sigma will it be $1600 wasted or constant returning of the product until I get a good one.

Ive thought about the 70-200 f2.8 but just dont think it will give me my required length.

Old Aug 1, 2009, 7:41 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronnic View Post
... Its hard to decide and especially with the lack of QC on Sigma will it be $1600 wasted or constant returning of the product until I get a good one.
May be it's just my luck, but the Sigma lenses that I got all work great on their 1st sample... Also I don't know if it's been mentioned before but the 50-500 is of the EX series, and the EX all carriy 4-years warranty so during this time you can always send it back for repair or adjustments!

When I bought a Nikon last year I was shocked by their premium (their long lenses carry a ~ $2000 sticker cost) over the Canon's so I gave the Bigma a try: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/sigma_50_500
-> Ever since I'm hook at the opportunities that this lens offer me through its portability over the 500mm (follow the link for comparisons to my EF-500 f/4 above over my travels) as I can go to places where my other big lens can't: like taking it on a kayak in the middle of the river for example:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...6627-bifs.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...eir-snack.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wi...fun-water.html

Last edited by NHL; Aug 1, 2009 at 1:27 PM.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2009, 8:09 AM   #9

Wow some really nice shots there..