Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
if thats the case, why not compromise on the 70 end and get yourself "THE" best 100-300 F4 non IS Sigma lens.

The lens is almost a prime at comparable aperture at 100,200 and 300mm.. It takes a 1.4X tele and at 400mm the lens is still comparable for sharpness and contrast

sigma 120-300 and Sigma 100-300 are the two best lens from the sigma stable(ooops just forgot to add the 12-24 )
I asked Canon about teleconverters and they specifically said they do not make one for the T1i.

Yet I asked a dealer and they said you can use the teleconverter, but then I'd have to use all manual settings and the auto settings, including the auto focus, will not work.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Pete
hockey_ref2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:19 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_ref2 View Post
I asked Canon about teleconverters and they specifically said they do not make one for the T1i.

Yet I asked a dealer and they said you can use the teleconverter, but then I'd have to use all manual settings and the auto settings, including the auto focus, will not work.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Pete
TC's will work with the T1i (I have one and use them), but it will depend on the lens if you will lose AF or not. If using a 1.4x TC then as long as the lens has a aperture of f4 or wider it will still AF (that is f4 for the entire range, not something like a 70-300 which is f4-f5.6 as you zoom). If using a 2x TC then you need f2.8 or wider for AF to be retained.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
TC's will work with the T1i (I have one and use them), but it will depend on the lens if you will lose AF or not. If using a 1.4x TC then as long as the lens has a aperture of f4 or wider it will still AF (that is f4 for the entire range, not something like a 70-300 which is f4-f5.6 as you zoom). If using a 2x TC then you need f2.8 or wider for AF to be retained.
I've got the 55-250 IS lens - will the 2x work with that? And what do you think of the Tamron converter?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_ref2 View Post
I've got the 55-250 IS lens - will the 2x work with that? And what do you think of the Tamron converter?
Not with AF. And the image quality will be pretty poor. A 2x TC will make that lens F11 as well - so you'd need incredible lighting to get a halfway decent shutter speed. What are you attempting to photograph?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 3:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Not with AF. And the image quality will be pretty poor. A 2x TC will make that lens F11 as well - so you'd need incredible lighting to get a halfway decent shutter speed. What are you attempting to photograph?
Thanks!

I just got the camera last week and used it for the first time this weekend at a hockey game. Would have been great to get up just a bit closer on the shots.

But we do alot of traveling (we sell cruises), so we take a great deal of pictures of the places we go. Spent a total of 62 days in Europe over the last year using two P&S cameras we have and took over 4000 pictures! Of course now we have to spend the next year narrowing those down to only a couple of hundred! lol But we like to put them up on our big screen hdtv when clients come over to show a few of the highlights when they're planning a cruise.

I have a 12x zoom on my P&S, which is great, but the quality is obviously not as good as the dslr. So I'm thinking if I need a bit closer within the confines of a hockey rink, it would be nice to have a bit more zoom when I need it. Just didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on a bigger Canon zoom lens since it's not something I would be using alot.