Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 20, 2009, 5:26 PM   #1

Default Zoom lens for Canon T1i?

I'm the proud new owner of a Canon EOS Rebel T1i and so far (4 days) I'm loving it! I'm no expert so for now the kit lens (18-55mm) is fine for me to start.

What I do miss is the tight shots I could get with the 10x optical zoom that came on my point and shoot. I typically shoot my kids running, playing, singing in school concerts, etc. Can someone suggest an inexpensive zoom lens for my T1i (canon preferably, IS, AF, etc) that will approximate (or exceed) the performance of my 10x optical zoom on my point and shoot?

Thx.

I look forward to participating on the forums!

Michael
MichaelT1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:46 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Probably the best long zoom from Canon is the 70-300 IS USM (don't confuse this with the 75-300mm which is weak. It's not cheap but does a good job. Don't expect miracles from this lens indoors under low light conditions but it has good length and with the T1i will do a better job then any of the P&S cameras out there as you have good noise handling on the T1i so you can get faster shutter speeds in low light.

The only problem is you said cheap; cheap and IS don't really go together if you want good results. If keeping it cheap is key then the Tamron 70-300mm Di can turn out quite good results.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 5:28 AM   #3
Super Moderator

And also - zoom with your feet.

One of the best things you can do to learn photography is to put on a fixed focal length lens and leave it there for 6 months, do all your zooming with your feet and you will be forced to learn about composition.

When you have a zoom lens the temptation, even for experienced photographers, is to compose by zooming. This is usually a very bad idea and leads to desperately boring pictures.

55mm on a crop camera (*1.6=88mm equivalent) is plenty as far as people photos are concerned to get as tight a crop as you like.

So you don't need a new lens, you need a new pair of sneakers. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

Canons web site list the 70-300 IS USM lens as Item Code: 0345B002 and I'm currently searching on-line for the best price.

I found a site listing the lens for under $500 but it is advertized as : Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens (0345B003). The item code is different.... is this the same lens or am I being confused by a different item?

MichaelT1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:19 AM   #5

First of all, welcome to the world of D-SLRs. I think you will find that once you use an D-SLR, you will not want to go back to a point and shoot.

There are plenty of lenses to look into that my foot the bill and the ones mentioned above will be a fine choice. But something to keep in mind is that the camera is only one part of the photographic equation. The other parts are the photographer and the lens. A lot of photographers will argue that the lens is key and most will spend more on the lens then the camera. In saying that, perhaps you should stick with the kit lens until you really learn the camera and in the mean time you can save up for a good lens. Try to stay away from cheap lenses and instead of IS, look for something with a better aperture, 2.8 or larger would be ideal. These lenses can carry a hefty price tag but I think you would be much happier with the results in the end.

Most importantly, take lots of photos and enjoy the camera.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:57 AM   #6

Default Why 70mm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Probably the best long zoom from Canon is the 70-300 IS USM (don't confuse this with the 75-300mm which is weak.
Mark,

Just curious why you would recommend a 70mm on the wide end for a crop camera for the type of shots the poster described. Is this not a bit too long on a crop body?

For something that is in the 18-200 or so range, what lens would you recommend, short of L glass?

Thanks,

Gary
a-beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:22 PM   #7

The Canon 55-250 IS may be a good more affordable second lens to compliment your 18-55 IS. Here's a sample.
Attached Images

Last edited by [email protected]; Aug 11, 2009 at 9:55 AM.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 1:36 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-beginner View Post
Mark,

Just curious why you would recommend a 70mm on the wide end for a crop camera for the type of shots the poster described. Is this not a bit too long on a crop body?

For something that is in the 18-200 or so range, what lens would you recommend, short of L glass?

Thanks,

Gary
I suggested this as the user wants to get longer and they already have up to 55mm and for most people having that sort of gap in their range is not an issue.

I rarely would ever advise anyone to get on of the big zoom range lenses as there is too much compromise in quality (generally) over glass that is not so extreme with it's zoom ratio.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Canon 55-250 IS may be a good more affordable second lens to compliment your 18-55 IS.
That is my choice for the T1i. The most affordable solution and will give you the best results if you do not want to spend high $$$.

Attached one of the first pics I took with it. I did some sharpening of the picture.
Attached Images

Ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 3:55 PM   #10

70-300 IS USM (don't confuse this with the 75-300mm which is weak.

I am new to the d-slr world and have bought a canon rebel xs - it came with standard 18-55 (is) and a 75-300 (NO is) - You say the 75-300 is weak? What is the difference between a 70-300 and 75-300?
jdavis1982 is offline   Reply With Quote