Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:39 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri - ~The Show Me State~
Posts: 21
Default Need help choosing lens for 50D

Hello.


I am wanting a good lens for everyday, some portrait and landscape photos. Is there one that would cover all this?

Money is an object but I would like to hear all suggestions.
rubykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:03 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dr_spock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 879
Default

Maybe the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8...
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:20 AM   #3
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,397
Default

Important question, what lenses do you have currently?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri - ~The Show Me State~
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Important question, what lenses do you have currently?
Hi Mark. I have Canon EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* *Canon 100mm f/2.8 MACRO USM* *Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM* *Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6III
rubykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,105
Default

if i assume your camera is 5D i would suggest a 24-105 (personally the best walk around lens that i use with even my 1d. I almost nowadays carry only the 24-105 and a 8mm fish eye for fun...where photography is just a hobby and i dont see making money from it hehe)

if i assume your camera is one of the 1.6x crops, it would be really difficult to cover the focal length in question. Landscape needs atleast a 17mm and a portrait needs 50-85mm. Guess what you already have that range with your 17-40 F4 lens(a little short)

The more you try to go for a single lens to fullfill multiple needs you are moving away from the advantage of using a SLR.

My personal alternative is i carry the simplest combination if i dont want to change len's, compromise on my limits with respect to photographing a scene and carry an additonal p and s to get those picture i compromised initiatlly with my DSLR.

28-135 and 17-40 Combo is your best bet here..

Last but not the least you can check the sigma series of 17-70 lens. But i personally feel you are adding more lens to your kitty.

Its all a personal opinion after some years of carrying a huge bag. initially it was ok, but now i just compromise my needs and never pack anything HOPING to take a picture.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 1:56 AM   #6
Super Moderator
 
peripatetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,599
Default

If you have a crop camera and you had no lenses at all I would be suggesting:
The Canon 17-85 IS or the 18-200 IS.

However because you already have a bunch of lenses covering a wide range of focal lengths I'm not sure why you are asking us the question. In general buying a new lens won't make your pictures any better. I think you are probably looking in the wrong place if you are hoping to find better pictures.

There is a school of though (to which I subscribe) that the best way to really improve your photography is to settle on a single focal length and learn to take pictures with that. Only very experienced photographers and complete novices should be allowed to use zoom lenses. The reason for this is simple - the temptation to compose by twisting the zoom ring is almost irresistible, and zooming is absolutely the worst way to compose - you think you're making a better shot but it's very seldom true.

So my advice is to sell the 75-300 (yuck), sell the 28-135 (double yuck), put the other two lenses in the cupboard for a year. Get yourself a Canon EF 28mm f1.8 and leave that on your camera for one year. Spend lots of time looking at photography books, ones with pictures not information about cameras. Your photographs will improve enormously. At the end of that time you will know absolutely what lenses you need. (If you are using a FF camera then substitute 35 or 50 for 28.)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:52 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 23
Default

I think you could buy a Canon 50 mm f/1.8.
A best buy lens for price/performance.
For portraits and some street shoot.

Also perhaps you could sell yours:
Canon EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
and
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6III
and using the difference buy a:
Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L USM (without IS ... but the cost is more interesting)
or add money and you can buy the IS version.

Yes is "only" 200 mm but it's a great lens and with some crop you haven't problem even for distant subject.

For landscape I would recommend purchasing a good tripod (manfrotto, benro, etc.) with a good head (with level on the head or an external level that you put on you camera).

In general i think is better quality vs quantity and the "right" instrument for the right work.

Clearly "right" is very subject but i think often the problem aren't the lens but the user.

In future you eventually could even think about some good ultra wide-angle lens.

I hope this help you.

Bye.
alexfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:11 AM   #8
Super Moderator
 
Mark1616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubykate View Post
Hi Mark. I have Canon EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM* *Canon 100mm f/2.8 MACRO USM* *Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM* *Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6III
Where are you finding the gaps or problems with these lenses? Is making you want to add a new lens in your bag?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:45 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri - ~The Show Me State~
Posts: 21
Default

I have the opportunity to upgrade to "better quality" lenses that is why I was asking. (not yucky ones )

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
If you have a crop camera and you had no lenses at all I would be suggesting:
The Canon 17-85 IS or the 18-200 IS.

However because you already have a bunch of lenses covering a wide range of focal lengths I'm not sure why you are asking us the question. In general buying a new lens won't make your pictures any better. I think you are probably looking in the wrong place if you are hoping to find better pictures.

There is a school of though (to which I subscribe) that the best way to really improve your photography is to settle on a single focal length and learn to take pictures with that. Only very experienced photographers and complete novices should be allowed to use zoom lenses. The reason for this is simple - the temptation to compose by twisting the zoom ring is almost irresistible, and zooming is absolutely the worst way to compose - you think you're making a better shot but it's very seldom true.

So my advice is to sell the 75-300 (yuck), sell the 28-135 (double yuck), put the other two lenses in the cupboard for a year. Get yourself a Canon EF 28mm f1.8 and leave that on your camera for one year. Spend lots of time looking at photography books, ones with pictures not information about cameras. Your photographs will improve enormously. At the end of that time you will know absolutely what lenses you need. (If you are using a FF camera then substitute 35 or 50 for 28.)
rubykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:46 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Missouri - ~The Show Me State~
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Where are you finding the gaps or problems with these lenses? Is making you want to add a new lens in your bag?
Hello Mark. Not really but I do know that some of the lenses I have are not the best quality. I have the opportunity to upgrade one or two lenses now and needed help.
rubykate is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:25 PM.