Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:30 PM   #1
elo

Default Teeball and kick ball? (Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens )

Is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens good enough to take sharp images for tee ball and kick ball games? I will use this to take pictures of my kids. I would like to be able to freeze the action with no blur. Can I do that?

Also does this lens do well indoors like at school plays or presentations?

I have read people saying that Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is really good for the price but $500 is a little high for me. Can the 55 -250mm compete as far as image quality? Will the extra 50mm and usm be worth the extra $250? Please advise.

What lens do you guys recommend for this type of photography? Do you guys have any action pic with the 55-250mm you could share?

I would imagine that the L lens would do the best but those all seem to be 1K+

Thanks in advance!
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:04 PM   #2

I believe you would find the 55-250 to work very well for outside shots and inside with an external flash. I have it and am very happy with it. Here's a sample.
Attached Images

Last edited by [email protected]; Aug 11, 2009 at 8:56 AM.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:51 AM   #3

The 55-250 will be able to give you fast enough shutter speeds in good lighting for kickball and teeball. But realize, even in daytime you may have to jump up to ISO 800. Try to keep your shutter speeds around 1/1000 and you'll freeze the action fine.

The key is to make sure you're close enough to the action - which isn't usually a problem for tee-ball or kickball. But if you want sharp photos you want to make sure your subject is filling 2/3 of the vertical fame in portrait oriented framing (i.e. most times you'll want to shoot in portrait orientation since your subject is more vertical than horizontal - and you want to make sure the subject is filling 2/3 of the vertical frame IN CAMERA when you take your shots. This gives the focus system a good chance to track the subject and also lots of pixels on your subject so you have detail.

Indoors, it depends on whether you are allowed and want to use external flash. If so, sure you can use the lens for school stuff. But without external flash, NO f5.6 lens is going to get you good results. You need at least f2.8 and often f2.0 lenses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:54 AM   #4
elo

As for flash indoor at school I will go by the old saying better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

So the lower the F number the wider the shutter opens so the better it can take in light? So in low light a 50mm 1.8 will take a nicer sharper picture then my 5.6 Kit…

For range a Canon EF 70.200mm f/2.8L IS USM will do a better job because it has a larger aperture and the higher shutter speed you can use and the lower ISO setting giving you less noise and brighter sharper img?

So with a f1.2 lens you can work with lower ISO, less light and faster shutter speed.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:16 AM   #5

Elo,

Here are some answers to your questions/comments:
Quote:
As for flash indoor at school I will go by the old saying better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
In general I agree - except keep in mind that no kid wants to be embarrassed by their parent. It's about them, not you. So if you're constantly being asked not to take flash photos you've got your priorities mixed up. So, after the first 'ask' (if it ever comes) my suggestion is to bag flash use at further events at that school.

Quote:
So the lower the F number the wider the shutter opens so the better it can take in light?
Correct

Quote:
So in low light a 50mm 1.8 will take a nicer sharper picture then my 5.6 Kit…
The 50mm 1.8 will provide faster shutter speeds. However that doesn't necessarily equate to sharpness. First of all - it still depends on the light levels and how much your subject is moving. You may find in some instances you still need to shoot at ISO 1600 / 3200. Second, a 50mm lens has very limited range if you want sharp / detailed images of people. My suggested limit is 15 feet. So, even with fast shutter speeds you're not going to get sharp images from 30 feet away.

Quote:
For range a Canon EF 70.200mm f/2.8L IS USM will do a better job because it has a larger aperture and the higher shutter speed you can use and the lower ISO setting giving you less noise and brighter sharper img?
Better than what? In what conditions? Indoors it will produce better results than an f5.6 lens without flash. But it may not provide fast enough shutter speeds. It all depends on what you're talking about. You're very likely still going to be at high ISOs using f2.8. For example, let's take a play or choral recital. There's not a lot of movement - so, with the IS and proper hand-holding technique you could get reasonably sharp images at 1/80-1/100 (because there will be some movement). So yes you could use maybe ISO 800 instead of 1600 (for say an f4 lens). The more active the more you need faster shutter speeds. Get up to sports and you want 1/400 (so you're often shooting at ISO 3200-6400 when using f2.8).

Quote:
So with a f1.2 lens you can work with lower ISO, less light and faster shutter speed.
Yes, but DOF is razor thin. And, you've got similar range restrictions like you had with the 50mm 1.8. You won't find a lot of photographers that shoot people indoors at f1.2 in uncontrolled situations (i.e. not posed shots) because of the DOF. Below f2 things get pretty dicey. Even at f2 and f2.8 you'll find yourself getting less than stellar results until you get your technique down.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:35 AM   #6
elo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Here's a sample.
Hey man nice shot
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:55 AM   #7
elo

Thanks for your reply JohnG, If I shoot at school, I'll stop first time I am asked or wont even start if they say form the get go no flash. =)