Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 18, 2009, 8:53 PM   #1

Default Rebel XSi lens

Hi,
I have the Rebel XSi, and just the one lens that it came with. (18-55) I would like a lens that would zoom a little more, (doesn't have to reach the next county). Would the Canon 28-135 or the Canon 55-250 be good choices? I would like it to be as lightweight as possible, and the price needs to be around $250 or so. And is it important that I get one with image stabilization? I am just learning about dslr cameras, so I need to keep it simple. We are going on vacation in October so want to get it before then for sure.

Thanks,

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2009, 3:36 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I wouldn't bother with the 28-135 as most of the range you currently have is covered and also it isn't wide enough to really make it your walk around lens (well not for the sort of shooting I like). The 55-250 isn't the strongest lens with quite noticeable vignetting at the widest apertures but for the price, size and weight it is a nice complement to the 18-55.

Is it important to get IS, this is a huge question that has come up many times in the past. IS is like anything in photography, it is a tool and it has the place where it should be used, in the same way as a tripod or flash are tools that should be used in the right conditions. There are places (like sports photography) where it doesn't help but in low light conditions where flash can't be used then it will help with camera shake, but won't stop blur from moving subjects. So it isn't a magic way to get better photos but it will help if used correctly.

Lastly before you decide if this lens is right, are there any specific sorts of photography are you wanting to do?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:11 AM   #3

The pictures I take are mostly everyday stuff, we have a 5 mos old granddaughter, 2 labs, and flowers, birds,scenery, etc. Not really any sports. I just want a lightweight zoom with a more zoom than what I have now. I bought an inexpensive set of "close up" lenses that screw on the main lens for flowers, etc, but not sure how useful they will be. My pictures won't be published in magazines or anything like that, but I do want to improve and have decent basic equipment. Thanks for any help.

Suzie
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:30 AM   #4
elo

55-250 is a very good lens for the price. It is light and has a great range and very good IQ (image quality). I am to currently looking for a longer range lens and this is one that am looking at because of the great price.

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS
elo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:42 PM   #5

Maybe something like this http://www.cameta.com/Canon-EF-75-30...Lens-12432.cfm

its a 75-300mm lens for $209. Its great for action and animals. Its nice to be able to use the 75-300mm at the zoo and not be right up in the animals face.
kn9ne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 2:51 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn9ne12 View Post
Maybe something like this http://www.cameta.com/Canon-EF-75-30...Lens-12432.cfm

its a 75-300mm lens for $209. Its great for action and animals. Its nice to be able to use the 75-300mm at the zoo and not be right up in the animals face.
It is a very weak lens so wouldn't touch it the 55-250 is better, but you nearly always get what you pay for. If you are going to go for this sort of range the Tamron 70-300mm is a better choice but still not great.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 9:05 AM   #7

OK I have been looking on ebay, and there are a ton of Canon 75-300 at good prices, but I assume since there are alot for sale that its probably not real good? There are not many used 55-250 however.. I also saw a Canon 80-200mm, does anyone know anything about it? Also, this may be a stupid question, but on alot of the descriptions it says "no fungus". What exactly does that mean and how do you avoid it?
Thanks,
Suzie
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:23 AM   #8

I have the Canon 55-250 and would strongly recommend it for your situation. Here are a few of shots I took with it.
Attached Images

bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2009, 1:32 PM   #9

Those photos are gorgeous!! I am leaning toward the 55-250, it seems to be the best of both worlds. (fairly inexpensive and good)
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:08 AM   #10

Default Photo Sample Canon 28-135mm Lens

Canon's 28-135mm lens has IS and is a creditable lens, but it was designed as a full frame lens. When you put that lens on the XSi camera, what was a 28mm lens for a full frame camera, giving you a basic 28mm wide angle, now becomes a 45-216mm lens lens on the XSi, die to the crop factor.

Yes, the IS does work nicely, and the lens is optically good, but most folks want more wide angle, something like a 28mm lens at least at the wide end. Here is a photo sample from the Canon 28-135mm IS lens taken with a Canon 20D.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote