Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:57 AM   #1

Default which lens to buy to photograph artwork?

Hello,

I have a canon EOS 400D camera and am looking for a lens to take fine detail photos of my 2D textural artwork. I have also been told that you can get lenses which control the focal plane so that you don't get curved edges when taking a photo of a canvas?? I wondered if you could give me some advice on what lens would suit my needs?

Thank you
katkinpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:24 PM   #2

Your best bet would be a good, moderately long macro lens in the 60-100mm range. Second best choice would be a simple 50mm f/1.8. DO NOT even think about using a zoom lens.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:08 AM   #3
Super Moderator

The tilt-shift lenses can be adapted to adjust for verticals, but because you can control the placement of the artwork I think that you would be much better off buying a good macro lens and a tripod and an easel that can be adjusted to keep the plane of the artwork and the plane of the sensor the same. Then you will not have converging verticals.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:53 PM   #4

100mm is a bit long for this kind of work, you will be better off buying a Canon 60mm f/2.8 macro, Canon 50mm f/2.5 macro (doesn't give 1:1 ratio without an expensive adapter) or a Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro. You will need some lighting for your artwork, a cheap continuous light system will do the job nicely. A stable tripod is a must have and a remote camera release is nice to have as well.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2009, 1:12 PM   #5

Default Thank you

Thank you for all the advice, I will give the 60mm canon macro lens a go.

Many Thanks

Katkin
katkinpringle is offline   Reply With Quote