Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:21 PM   #11

Hards-

You are exactly correct. Those older non OS Sigma 18-125mm lenses are selling for a song. For any one on a real budget, they are a great buy. You often see them on E-Bay.

Yes, once again you are correct. Individual samples of the older Sigma 18-125mm lens do vary a great deal. But the price is so cheap that you can afford a failure, now and then. I now have 2 excellent samples, and I really like the lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:30 AM   #12

I went ahead yesterday and ordered the Sigma 18-125 with OS from Amazon, will be here today. Sarah you know how impatient I am, couldn't wait on the Canon, and I know I can always send it back within 30 days!! So now I am on a Fed Ex man watch!! By the way, David (husband) reworked my bird feeder station and also I added a humingbird feeder.

Suzie
dave59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:54 PM   #13

Suzie-

Changes and improvements are always fun. I think that you will enjoy the Sigma 18-125mmOS lens. I have two of the (both non OS) that I picked up on E-Bay very inexpensively.

Have a great Holiday Weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:14 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Enjoy your new purchase Suzie, and post some examples, I would be interested to see what you think about this lens. its such a great bargain for a well-built, good ranged, lens with os.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 8:19 PM   #15

hards-

The non OS version of the Sigma is selling for $165.00 versus $399.00 for the OS version. That is a fairly large price difference.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:11 PM   #16

Sarah,
I found mine on Amazon for $325. It arrived this afternoon, and it is raining here, so haven't been outside yet. It is at least as heavy as the canon 55-250,but it is shorter and wider, so doesn't seem so bad. Maybe tomorrow it will be pretty outside.

Suzie
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:57 AM   #17

Default A Sony A-230 DSLR at ISO 1600

Hi Suzie-

Glad to hear that the Sigma 18-125mmOS lens arrived. I hope tomorrow has nicer weather.

I got tired of paying bills and pulled out the Sony A-230 that I have been testing for 5 days. Bradley happily posed for me. This was taken at ISO 1600 using 2nd curtain flash from the A-230 DSLR's built in flash unit, at a distance of 20 feet, using my non IS Sigma 18-125mm lens at full zoom, 125mm.

I bet you are scratching your head and wondering what the heck is 2nd curtain flash.
The F stop used was F 5.6 and the shutter speed 1/25 of a second, with the ISO at 1600. In 2nd curtain flash, the camera takes the photo at F 5.6 at 1/25th, and just as the shutter is closing it puts out about a 1/2 power blink of the built-in flash unit to get rid of shadows.

I was very pleased with the resulting photo considering we were at 20 feet and I was hand holding the camera. The super steady shot feature built into the A-230 camera body made my cheap Sigma 18-125 non IS equipped lens (cost $165) instantly have IS!

No point & shoot super zoom could ever produce this image quality at ISO 1600, not even the king of the hill, the Panasonic FZ-28! That is where the DSLR really scores big due to its much larger CMOS imager, that is 15 times larger than the imager even used on the FZ-28!

Have fun with your new lens tomorrow. Bradley and I hope that you and Dave are enjoying a great Holiday Weekend.I have attached a copy of the photo discussed above for you.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Sep 5, 2009 at 1:03 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:18 AM   #18

Here are a few pics I took through an open window this morning. Please keep in mind I'm still new to this!!! If yall have any suggestions to make them better as far as camera settings, please let me know. I had the Sigma 18-125 out to the full 125.

Suzie
Attached Images

Old Sep 5, 2009, 3:24 PM   #19

Congratulations, Suzie-

When I compare those photos from this morning (09/05) compared to your first photo of the Morning Dove there is a huge difference. You are coming right along in an upward direction with your learning curve with the canon XSi camera. That is really great news.

Sarah Joyce
Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:58 PM   #20

Thank you so much Sarah Joyce, I couldn't wait to hear what you thought. I haven't even considered sending my Canon Xsi back, aren't you proud of me??

Thanks again,
Suzie