Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:08 PM   #1

Default Best ULTRA-WIDE ANGLE lens for Canon 1.6x crop body?

Wanted to hear all your recommendations for the best UWA lens for a crop body Canon (1.6x). I definitely want something less than 15mm (doesn't have to be a prime) as I really want to get into taking nice wide landscape photos.

Also, I understand that due to the crop sensor, fisheyes aren't so *fishy* on the crop bodies, so do you guys think I should also consider diagonal fisheyes? I am not a big fan of the fishy circular look, however.

I have a Rebel XSi (450D) and eventually will upgrade to the 50D or 7D after it's been out for a little while, so I will be sticking to crop bodies in the long run, no full frames in the future...I think. :P

Thanks.

Last edited by jubu; Sep 23, 2009 at 6:27 PM.
jubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I have the Tokina 12-24 f4. Its one of the sharpest of the UWs, and has constant f4. For pure image quality its hard to beat. build quality on this lens is impressive. i find that its on my camera more than anything else i own.

That said, its not nearly as dramatic of UW as something that goes down to 10mm. The canon 10-22 is a great choice there. Have a couple friends that own and use this lens alot, and i have shot them a few times, overall nice little kit. sigma makes a nice 10-20 that from what i have seen, is optically very similar to the canon.

Tokina also came out with an 11-16 f2.8! that I have seen good stuff from too, but have no personal experience with it. some tests i have seen show it fairs slightly better than the canon. but it covers a much smaller range, i dont know if this is an issue for your needs. If i were to buy an UW right now, this Tokina 11-16 would be the one I personally would purchase, if that at all helps you.

Last edited by Hards80; Sep 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 1:43 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I had the Sigma 12-24 (full-frame) lens.

It was fine on the crop body, but when I moved to FF bodies it didn't hold up very well any more.

I would look carefully at the Canon 10-22 and take that as your starting point. If you can't find a compelling reason to choose one of the others then choose the Canon.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:17 AM   #4

Thanks for the two replies guys...I am definitely considering the 10-22 from Canon, but am reading up on the Tokina 12-24 reviews as well. The focal range on those two is definitely a benefit for me, so that I wouldn't have to switch lenses too often if I am out shooting, but I plan on keeping my 18-55IS kit lens, so it's not a must.

I will take a look at that 11-16 Tokina as well...let you know how this goes!

Thanks again.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:40 PM   #5

Look also on the Sigma 10-20, I read good reviews about it.

But I would not rush it, ask yourself how many times you are going to use it. You may consider getting a better lens than the kit and doing some panoramas.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 2:44 PM   #6
Super Moderator

the perspective you gain from an UW is much different than anything a stitched photo could do.

and the 18-55 IS version of the kit is not a bad lens. build-wise, yea it leaves much to be desired, but optically its pretty good.

if you are going to do landscapes, architecture, etc. you will use an UW alot. I use mine more than anything else i own.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 3:05 PM   #7
NHL

For an APS-C camera the Tokina 11-16 f2.8 that was suggested is practically a prime because of it's narrow zoom range... On a Nikon body which I have, it blows away the Nikkor: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/11-16mm.htm

... and the results are quite similar with the Canon's too, i.e. the vignetting and edge of lens sharpness (important for an ultra-wide) are all superior except for CA which can be corrected in Photoshop if not by the camera already:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/17...review?start=1
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/37..._canon?start=1
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 3:07 PM   #8

While I am no professional photographer, I have already found myself wanting the perspectives and more importantly, the ability to take the types of photos that only a wide angle lens can provide. I do enjoy the pics one can create by stitching and creating panos, but that's not exactly what I'm going for. My next lens is definitely gonna be a wide angle. I find myself taking pics more on the wide side of my kit lens on the XSi (18mm) and wishing I could go lower, as opposed to wanting to go higher than the 55mm...I'll also give the Sigma 10-20 a look-see. thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 12:08 AM   #9

the tokina in a ap-c sensor is tack shart even wide open.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:07 PM   #10

I'm real happy with the Canon 10-22mm UWA lens.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote