Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:15 PM   #1

Default light gathering lens?

Hi, I am using a Canon digital rebel xti and am having trouble photographing bears at dusk... I'm using a canon 70-300 now...for obvious reasons a zoom is necessary... also I'm in a boat, the bear is moving and the best time to catch them is evening... I've used light gathering binnoculars before and wondered if there isnt a camera lens that could help. It doesnt HAVE to be a canon... but I thought this was the best forum to post this Q...
Any help would be great...
Colleen-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:30 PM   #2

If your strictly speaking of dark photography I can not give you info on "light gathering green stuff" and you would get I believe only get green not very nice photos.

As far as shooting in Dim light. Adding light via flash would help alot. What Distance are you shooting at? Using a Fast Lens helps a lot. In Zoom your going to find a constant 2.8 is about as fast as you can find. Each change it F Stop Doubles or Decreases light. So a 2.8 Lens would triple the light your getting @ 5.6 on your Canon.

ISO is the Other area you can tackle. ISO 800, 1600, etc. is going to give you mush more sensitivity for low light photos. It will be noisy but you can try shooting @ IS01600. The will me much better then a light gathering device.

On Newer Cameras you can shoot at stunningly High ISOs like 6400 12,800

Using a combination of these options would get you the best pictures.

Last edited by anthlover; Oct 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:39 PM   #3

Default Darn

I was hoping that the photography industry would have invented an option..I have increased the ISO...but the pictures do turn out grainy looking...
We are approx 300 feet from the bears...in a boat which is moving...the bears are moving... They come down to the river in the evening to feed. I do have the IS 70/300 lens.... they scamper off (or worse) if we get much closer. Thank you for taking the time to reply.......
Colleen-AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:47 PM   #4

There are flash extenders that might help get the flash to work at that great a distance, though typically a flash tops out at around 200 Feet.

A flash can also help a camera focus in low light with its red beams providing contrast.

Using 2.8 or 1.8 lens with an ISO of 800 would probably make a big difference. And a newer body that can go much higher before getting noisy would help.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote