Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1

Default a good lens for sambadrome - rio de janeiro

I have a canon 5d mark ii and looking for a good lens to take to Rio De Janeiro for the sambradrome during carnival. I don't know the lighting conditions, but I assume it will be low light. I will be close to the front (between 1 to 4 meters away) from the parade and would like a lens thats good for low light and capture the folks dancing in the street if its possible. my budget is around $500 to $1000.

For some reason the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM seems to be good in low light and within my budget. Would this camera be a good fit for me?

What other lens would you recommend?

Thanks

AB
abryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2009, 2:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

That seems very long to me.

Unless you are a purist and can move around a lot I don't think you will survive with a simple prime lens. If you can then I would suggest a 50mm or 35mm for their versatility.

Otherwise you are probably best off with the 24-105L, which will be particularly useful if you find yourself stuck in a place where you cannot easily move yourself into the best position for shooting, zoom is a poor substitute for changing position, but it's something.

The 5D2 is so good at low light shooting that you will not in general miss having a lens with greater than f4 aperture, the 24-105L also has very good IS so it's a fantastic low-light combo.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:15 AM   #3

I'm a n00b to DSLR cameras. What's a prime lens?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:22 AM   #4

abryan-

Welcome to the Forum-

Carnival in Rio in the Sambadrome is a real experience. Because you will be sitting down in front, I agree with Peripathetic, the Canon 85mm F1.8 is probably would NOT be my lens of choice.

A prime lens is a lens that does not zoom. The lane width across in the Sambadrome is a bit over 100 feet wide, and the passing floats with their marchers can be 150 to 200 feet long. The lighting is excellent and you should have no problems at all with the Canon 5D.

That being said, based on my own personal experience in shooting at that venue, I would want the flexibility of a zoom lens. Peripathetic recommended the Canon 24-105L Lens which would cover thing nicely, but might be a bit short if you want to shoot individual performers.

I have attached one of my Carnival in Rio photos taken in the Sambadrome in 2003, so you can evaluate conditions on the ground.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:46 PM   #5

Would the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Lens be a good fit? Judging from the pic looks like there's plenty of light.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:54 PM   #6
Super Moderator

No, it's a horrible old consumer-grade lens from film days.

Putting it on the front of a 5DMkII is madness.

If you must put on a cheap lens then try the Canon 28-135 or the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. I would recommend against it though, the 5DMkII is brutal with cheaper lenses.

What lens did you get with the camera?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:11 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice, I knew it had to be cheap for a reason. I actually got the 5d mark on the 14th and haven't bought the lens yet. I want to do some research before I go out and get one.

mtclimber what section and row you took the pic from? I will be in row 1 or 2 in section 7. I will be too close to get pics on the entire float, but close enough to get individuals performing which I wanted.

Is there a website with a list of lenses for the 5d?

AB
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:33 PM   #8
Super Moderator

There are a few possibilties for 5D lenses.

Pretty much any of the L lenses are worth considering. But as you don't have anything yet the first thing you should consider is a "standard zoom" there are only two real options the 24-70 f2.8 and the 24-105 f4 IS. My personal preference of the two is the 24-105 f4 IS.

But you could do a lot worse than putting on a 50 mm f1.4 and leaving that there for a year while you learn something about photography.

You will also probably want a telephoto zoom. There are only two or three decent choices. 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 70-300 IS.

So to start with I would say:

Lens 1: 24-105 f4 IS L.
Lens 2: 70-200 f4 IS L.
Lens 3: 50mm f1.4.

You can stop after 1, or 2, or 3. But I would recommend that you stick with with just 2 or 3 for a while - at least 6 months or so. After that you will know what to get next.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:20 PM   #9

vote no 2 for 24-105. 5D and 24-105 combination is such a terrific comb, that it stayed in my 5d all the time. as you learn more the 70-200 would just add that extra speed and reach.

i m here with peri that putting a cheap lens on the 5D would be brutal. but once exception is the tamron 28-75.

Me and my friend got the 5D together. I got the 24-105 and he got the 28-75. I would say if you need a faster standard lens that is cheap and is comparable to the 24-105, i would say 28-75 tamron.

The output from this lens is sharp corner to corner when stepped down to F4, while the corner sharpness wide open on 5D is stunning for those candid potraits.

My choice here would be either the 24-105 or 28-75
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10

AB-

My husband and I were teaching digital cameras on cruise ships when we were at Carnival in 2003. Therefore, we were considered staff. The cruise line had purchased a large block of seats. Some were down close and some were up near the top, in an attempt to meet everyone's photo needs.

Thus, I was able to wander around in both sections with ease taking long shots from the higher seats, and close-up and individual shots from the lower seats.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote