Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netman View Post
Right now my kids are younger. So the main sport they play is soccer and I will be taking pics from the side line. The high school sports are a ways away for now.

The indoor pics will be of the kids at holidays and just general pics of the kids running around playing. Will the kit lens be ok? Maybe the EF 50mm f/1.8 II.
Unless your kids are going to be playing basketball you could hold off on the 50 prime and get the 430 flash as John suggested.

I know it is so hard to know what you really want/need. I started out last fall with an XSi, kit lens (a good one), and Sigma 18-200mm. When basketball season arrived I found I could not get a decent action shot so I bought primes 85 f/1.8 and 50 f/1.f which made a huge improvement.

As basketball season was ending and soccer was about to begin I knew the Sigma 18-200 was not going to get it for soccer, so I bought the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 non IS and have been loving it every since. Also for soccer I've added a 1.4x converter which has worked very well.

Recently, for fields sports (soccer, baseball, and football) I have been experimenting with some longer lens.

All I am trying to say is be careful about trying to cover you range of needs right now with the camera purchase. If you are getting the body for Christmas it may be a while before you need a lens for soccer (here we do spring and fall soccer) so you may have some time to get to know your kit lens and what you need. Since I got the 70-200 the old Sigma zoom sits unused in the bag. Of course, you'll upgrade over time but just be careful you don't buy something relatively cheap now that you'll replace in six months and never use again.

Good Luck ,
Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:42 AM   #12

so you use the 50mm 1.8 for basketball?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:46 AM   #13

Quote:
The 50mm 1.8 can be used for basketball. BUT, it's useful range is 15 feet or under. So you not only need to be shooting from the baseline but almost right under the basket. It's a bit slow to focus - especially if you compare it to the 85mm 1.8. But at least it's capable of getting you some shots for under $100. But the limited range and slowness of fousing can make it frustrating to use for long.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:48 AM   #14
Super Moderator

if you are not going to be shooting any indoor stuff for a while. and mostly just kids playing and outdoor soccer.

i think the original suggestion of the kit/430flash/70-300 would do just fine. the USM would make the 70-300 worth it over the 55-250.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:02 PM   #15

Quote:
I mainly used the 85 f/1.8 in the corners and some under the basket. But I found that the 85 was just too tight for full body shots when I was under the basket and players are in the paint (In our gym there is only about three feet from baseline to wall). For those shots I switched to the 50mm (the one I have is the f/1.4). I was limited to the primes because with the XSi the ISO topped out at 1600. Now that I have the 50D I am looking forward to using the 70-200 a little more for basketball when December rolls around.

But I must say that 80% of my B-Ball shots was with the 85.

Last edited by griffina6; Oct 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
if you are not going to be shooting any indoor stuff for a while. and mostly just kids playing and outdoor soccer.

i think the original suggestion of the kit/430flash/70-300 would do just fine. the USM would make the 70-300 worth it over the 55-250.
I think this is the way to go and get started. What is USM?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
I think this is the way to go and get started. What is USM?
In the context of this thread, USM stands for Ultra Sonic Motor - the term Canon uses for their focus motor system. In actuality there are 2 varieties of USM - micro USM and Ring USM. Canon doesn't usually publish in the tech specs of a lens which USM motor is used. Ring USM is faster. But even so, you have to take lenses on an individual basis. Both 85mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.2 have Ring USM but the 1.8 version of the lens is faster to focus because of the specific implementation in each lens.

You may also see USM in another context. It also stands for Un Sharp Mask - a tool/technique used in software for applying a sharpening affect to images. Just point this out to help with confusion in other threads when you see USM in the context of photo editing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote