Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:37 AM   #1

Default Need a couple lens suggestions

I will be getting a T1i for xmas. I need to figure out what additional lens i should get. I will be starting with the lens kit. I want to add a good zoom lens for outdoor sports and things.

I am also want a lens for indoors since these a most of the pics we will be taking.

Thanks
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:45 AM   #2

If you can provide some additional info, it would definitely help us.

You say you want a lens for outdoor sports - what specific sports? What level of play? Where will you be shooting from (e.g. stands, behind fence, on field)? Day games only or night as well?

Indoor - what types of photos are you wanting to take indoors? Realize that in many cases, flash is the most important part of indoor photo taking.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:16 AM   #3

Right now my kids are younger. So the main sport they play is soccer and I will be taking pics from the side line. The high school sports are a ways away for now.

The indoor pics will be of the kids at holidays and just general pics of the kids running around playing. Will the kit lens be ok? Maybe the EF 50mm f/1.8 II.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:31 AM   #4

For outdoors, I would recommend the Canon 70-300 IS USM (note - NOT the 75-300 which is a poor lens). If the price tag on that is too high then you could look at the Canon 50-250.

For indoors - the best thing you can do is get an external flash - 430exII works nicely. I shoot a lot of sports and have f1.8 and f2.8 lenses. But when I'm shooting my son and nieces/nephews indoors I use an external flash. You just can't count on there being enough light to get a good shot if there's any movement. I still love 'available light' portrait-style shots, but for 'capturing the moment' then external flash is the answer. With an external flash, and it's focus assist beam, the kit lens will do fine. The 50mm 1.8 is an excellent bang-for-the-buck lens that will give you a taste of shallow DOF and available light photography. But if you could afford only one of the two - the external flash is IMO a much more important accessory
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:49 AM   #5

Are you referring to 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS? I couldnt find a 50-250. I looked up the 55-250 and 70-300 and it appears the 250 is less than half the price of the 300. What are the difference between the 2 lens?

Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:55 AM   #6

Sorry - yes, that is the lens. The 70-300 is 50mm longer, has better optics and better focus speed.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:02 AM   #7

How big of a difference is 50mm? As for focus speed. Is it a big difference? I am trying to figure out if these upgrades are worth double the cost.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:10 AM   #8

Unfortunately I can't completely quantify it for you. I haven't seen much action shots from the 55-250. They're both Canon lenses and both have IS. My initial instinct is that based on the price difference you could expect quite a difference in image quality and focus speed. That big of a price difference isn't an accident. And for field sports 50mm can indeed be a big difference. The 55-250 is a budget lens and the 70-300 is one of the highest quality non-professional lenses Canon makes. But the real question is: will the 55-250 be "good enough" for you? I just don't know. As I said, I haven't seen much sports work from the lens. I mentioned it only because of it's low price point but in all fairness I can't say what it is capable of. But the fact that they're both from Canon and Canon priced them so far apart leads me to believe the 55-250 will be giving you exactly what you pay for - budget results.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:14 AM   #9

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense and kind of what I expected. This lens would probaly be a very good investment since I have 3 young boys and one on the way. So i figure to get a lot of use going forward.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:42 AM   #10

Netman-

My walk around lens is the Sigma 17-70mm lens. I like the little extra reach it provides. The Canon 55-250mmIS lens is well reviewed and attractively priced consumer grade lens. I use it a lot and really like the lens. I agree with JohnG, that the Canon EX-430 flash is a great addition. Once you can use bounce flash it adds a whole new dimension to your family photos.

Have a great day. And congratulations on your upcoming Christmas gift. I would have liked to gone for the Canon 500D/T-1, but the budget held me back and I already have too many cameras. I will report on the Canon XSi acquistion this week.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Oct 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote