Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:01 PM   #1

Default Need macro lens help for the T1i

Does the canon EOS system only use canon EF-S lenses or will other manufactures have the same kind of lenses.

Also I am looking at the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro lens for doing insects and flowers. Will this lens you think do the job and how would I determine the working distance for me to take the shot? I dont want to spend alot because it is my first but I want to be able to take good close photos. Or do you think the kit lens will be fine?? it is EF-s 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. Any help would be great!!
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i own the ef-s 60mm f 2.8 macro and it is absolutely one of my favorite lenses, so much that i look for reasons to use it. it is incredibly sharp, contrasty, zero distortion, even wide-open. it makes a great macro lens for inanimate objects like flowers etc, and is my current favorite portrait lens due to its beautiful bokeh.

however, if you are shooting things that move, i.e. bugs and such. the 100mm macro from canon would give you more working distance to prevent you from scaring them away, etc.

the 60mm macro is a superb macro/plus portrait-general prime lens. but the 100mm macro is better as a fully dedicated macro lens.

hopefully i explained that clearly enough.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:25 PM   #3
Super Moderator

EOS system will use any EF lens from canon (not just EF-S) as well as any canon mount lens from a 3rd party manufacturer, i.e. sigma, tamron, tokina.

each of these 3rd party companies offers macro lenses of various focal lengths worth considering as well. in general, they are all pretty sharp and perform well.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 3:48 PM   #4

I agree with Hards80. For insects you should use something longer.

I will also add that there are no bad macro lenses. While Canon's are excellent, for about the same price as Canon's 60/2.8, there's the Tokina 100/2.8 and the Tamron 90/2.8 macro lenses. And for not much more, there's the Sigma 105/2.8 macro. All these lenses are very good, and they cost a good deal less than Canon's 100/2.8.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 5:12 PM   #5

Thanks for all the help, I have decided to go with the Tokina 100/2.8. I cant wait to get my new camera and lens!!
Simtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 6:18 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
Thanks for all the help, I have decided to go with the Tokina 100/2.8. I cant wait to get my new camera and lens!!
that is a nice lens. very rugged build quality and good optics. enjoy!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:07 PM   #7

if you are looking at canon 100mm f2.8 Non IS i would honestly recommend the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

it comes with a huge Hood, a tripod mount ring and you get a good working distance. In fact i use this lens regularly for head only portraits and i am quite pleased with its sharpness.

The lens becomes a 180mm F2.8 macro on a 1.6x crop. For insects this is a better buy than 90 or 100 mm..

Though 90mm tamron is the finest macro i have ever used. Its sharp, very light weight and lens design doesnt require a hood.my grapevine for the 90-mm macro is again the light weight...
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 5:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymphetamine View Post
The lens becomes a 180mm F2.8 macro on a 1.6x crop.
That would be a 35mm equivalent focal length of 240mm, not 180mm.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote